Dangerous Drug Lawyers Traveling Across the Nation
Mirena is an intrauterine contraceptive device (IUD) manufactured by Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals. This IUD prevents pregnancy by slowly releasing the levonorgestrel hormone into the uterus to thin the uterine lining. A trained healthcare professional must insert the IUD, which may last up to five years. Our Mirena lawyers are currently accepting claims involving women who were implanted with the device and experienced severe complications.
Benefits of Hiring Our Mirena Lawsuit Lawyers
- Insight from 50 years of combined experience
- An attorney who specializes in Mirena litigation
- Representation that travels directly to you
- Personalized, caring counsel every step of the way
- Skills gained from handling 10,000+ cases since 1985
For a free legal consultation with a mirena lawsuits lawyer serving nationwide, call (800) 794-0444
Experiencing Mirena Side Effects?
Call (800) 794-0444 to speak to a dangerous drug lawyer. We offer free case evaluations.
Mirena Lawsuits Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Severe Mirena Side Effects
Women implanted with this IUD experience serious and even life-threatening side effects. Some patients even require a complete hysterectomy or suffer complications that eventually lead to death.
Mirena’s serious complications include:
- Perforation of the Uterus: If the device pierces the wall of the uterus, it may require surgical removal. Perforation can also cause other complications, like internal scarring, infection, and organ damage. Some of these complications may be fatal.
- Embedment in the Uterus: Mirena may embed itself in the uterus, also requiring surgical removal.
- Pseudotumor Cerebri (PTC): Mirena can cause neurological side effects, including pressure inside the skull, which can mimic brain tumors. This condition, PTC, can cause vision loss, brain damage, and can recur months or even years after diagnosis.
- Peritonitis: Peritonitis is inflammation of the internal organs and abdominal cavity lining. This can lead to significant fluid loss. Symptoms of peritonitis include sharp abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting.
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID): Bacteria that travels from the opening of the uterus to a woman’s reproductive organs may lead to infections of the uterus, fallopian tubes, and other reproductive organs. This may result in permanent damage.
- Ectopic Pregnancy: Ectopic pregnancy is a potentially life-threatening pregnancy complication in which the embryo implants outside of the uterine cavity.
- Erosion of Nearby Organs
- Intestinal Perforations
- Intestinal Blockage
Even after the device is removed, many women report severe health problems and injuries.
In 2000, the FDA approved Mirena, which was marketed as a birth control device that improved romance, energy, intimacy, and physical appearance.
A Timeline of Mirena Lawsuits:
- December 2009: The FDA issues a warning letter to Bayer, the manufacturer, warning that its promotional campaign contained serious misrepresentations about the IUD’s benefits
- 2012: The Affordable Healthcare Act mandates that insurance companies cannot require co-pays for birth control. This makes IUDs an affordable option (previously the cost of implantation was nearly $1,000).
- August 2014: The U.S. Judicial Panel on MDLs rules that Mirena plaintiffs suffering from alleged idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH) injuries will be tried individually.
- Recently: Pseudotumor cerebri (PTC) injuries are added to IUD lawsuits against Bayer. PTC is a serious neurological condition that can cause blindness and brain damage. Bayer is accused of downplaying the IUD’s link with PTC.
IUD popularity continues to increase despite thousands of injury lawsuits against Bayer. Further investigations show that Bayer used sneaky, deceptive marketing to get the device approved by the FDA.
As of today, over 1,300 Mirena lawsuits have been consolidated in a multi-district litigation (MDL) in the Southern District of New York. Another 2,000 Mirena lawsuits are also pending in a multi-county litigation (MCL) in New Jersey Superior Court.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Seasoned Firm Ready to Stand Up for You 24 / 7
If you or a loved one was implanted with Mirena and experienced serious complications, contact our law office immediately. Our team of experienced Mirena lawyers can effectively evaluate your potential lawsuit, beginning with a free, no-obligation consultation.
All of our Mirena attorneys work on a contingency basis, so we do not get paid unless we successfully recover a settlement or verdict on your behalf. We will explain your legal rights, investigate your potential claim, and zealously advocate on your behalf in order to secure you the highest compensation possible. Begin your case with a free case evaluation! Call (800) 794-0444 today.