If you were recently diagnosed with lung cancer in New Mexico and are unsure of what to do next, it may benefit you to try to figure out what caused your cancer. If your lung cancer was caused by exposure to harmful substances such as radon or asbestos, you may be able to recover compensation for your cancer treatment costs, pain and suffering, and more.
The New Mexico lung cancer lawyers at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm help victims of lung cancer and asbestos and radon exposure fight back, so they can get the compensation they deserve and hold the negligent parties accountable. To learn more, contact Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today at (800) 217-6099 for a free consultation about your case.
What May Have Caused Your Lung Cancer
According to the American Cancer Society (ACS), the leading cause of lung cancer in the United States is smoking. In fact, about 80% of deaths associated with lung cancer were linked to smoking or secondhand smoke. Obviously, this does not indicate that everyone who gets lung cancer is a smoker. Non-smokers can develop it as well, usually because they were exposed to things such as:
- Radon: After smoking, radon is the next highest cause of lung cancer. This silent radioactive killer is odorless and colorless, so if you were exposed to it for a lengthy period of time, you may not know until you receive your lung cancer diagnosis. Radon forms in soil, so it could have a heavy presence in basements or first-floor dwellings. If your home does not have a radon detector or your place of employment does not check for radon, you could be in danger of radon exposure.
- Asbestos: This material was frequently used in older buildings, such as factories, commercial facilities, and even schools. When asbestos is disturbed, it breaks up into tiny fibers that you can easily breathe in. These fibers travel inside your body, which eventually can lead to lung cancer or mesothelioma. If you work in construction, plumbing, demolition, or similar industries, you could be in danger of asbestos exposure.
Linking Your Lung Cancer to Negligent Behavior
If you are diagnosed with lung cancer and you think you may have developed the disease due to the negligent behavior of someone else, such as your employer, then you may be able to file a claim against them.
In some cases, companies already have trusts set up to pay out claims for people who contracted lung cancer. Asbestos manufacturers also have these kinds of trusts set up, but it can be difficult to track them all down. A New Mexico lung cancer lawyer can help determine which trusts you may be eligible for.
You can also try to use your worker’s compensation benefits but be wary. Many insurance companies will do whatever they can to avoid a large payout and will work hard to find loopholes around paying your claim. It is notoriously difficult to get enough money from worker’s compensation to cover all the costs associated with cancer treatment.
In these situations, it may be prudent to contact a New Mexico lung cancer lawyer who can represent your best interests and protect you from insurance companies and others who may try to take advantage of you during this stressful time. A lawyer can also help you prove the circumstances of the negligence that led to your cancer. Contact Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today for a free case evaluation.
For a free legal consultation, call (800) 794-0444
Hiring a Lung Cancer Lawyer
A lung cancer diagnosis is stressful enough. You do not need to be handling negotiations with insurance companies on your own, trying to haggle with them to get the money you need to cover your expenses. A New Mexico lung cancer lawyer can handle this process for you, so you can focus on fighting your cancer, making it through chemo treatments, and getting better.
A lawyer can explain your legal options, communicate with you routinely to let you know the status of your case, and serve as the point of communication for all involved parties. A lawyer can also negotiate with insurance companies to try to get you the maximum amount of compensation.
The types of damages you may be able to recover include:
- Lost wages: Recovering from cancer takes a lot of time and energy, and you may miss time at work that you will not be paid for. You can file for lost wages as well as any future potential earnings you may miss out on if you cannot go back to your former job.
- Medical costs: Surgeries, doctor visits, chemotherapy, radiation treatments, and other medical expenses will tally up quickly, along with any future estimated medical costs.
- Wrongful death: No amount of money can compensate for losing a member of your family, but you can file for wrongful death to help with the financial issues after a loved one passes away.
- Pain and suffering: These non-economic damages can compensate you for the mental and emotional anguish you have suffered because of your cancer diagnosis and treatment.
Contact Pintas & Mullins Law Firm Today
If you recently were diagnosed with lung cancer, then you might be able to recover compensation. You may be worried about spending money on hiring a New Mexico lung cancer lawyer, but there is no need to be. At Pintas & Mullins Law Firm, we work on a contingency basis. This means we will not collect any money from you unless we win your case, and our fee will be a previously agreed-upon percentage of your winnings. You will not have to pay any upfront fees or out-of-pocket costs.
Let our team of New Mexico lung cancer lawyers go to work for you, so you can literally breathe easier. To learn more, contact Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today at (800) 217-6099 for a free case review.
Call or text (800) 794-0444 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form