Throughout the state of New York, there are many beautiful attractions to see and visit such as the Catskill Mountains, the Empire State Building, and more. Driving to see these can be very exciting, unless that trip is interrupted by a car accident that causes injury to you or your loved ones.
Being involved in a car accident in New York could mean that you are entitled to recover compensation if your accident is the result of someone else’s negligence. The team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can take your call and speak with you about the circumstances of your case. Call (800) 223-5115 to learn more and schedule your free consultation. You may end up working with a New York car accident lawyer who could help you recover maximum damages.
Types of Auto Accidents that Happen in New York
According to the New York State Department of Health, motor vehicle accidents are the leading injury-related cause of death for New York residents. There are several types of collisions that can happen on interstates, highways, and surface streets, including:
- Rollover Accidents
- Rear-End Collisions
- Commercial Truck Wrecks
- Head-On Collisions
- Side-Impact Accidents
- Single-Car Wrecks
- Sideswipe Collisions
Common Causes of Car Wrecks
New York is a densely populated state, so the fact that there are a lot of car crashes in any given year makes sense. Since there are so many people living here, car crashes can be caused by any number of causes. Some of the common causes of car wrecks are:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Changing lanes without using a turn signal
- Hazards in the road
- Reckless driving
- Wintry weather such as snow, sleet, or ice
- Failure to stop at a red light or stop sign
- Not yielding right-of-way
Any of these causes may be linked to someone else’s negligence, and if you are the victim of a car crash that resulted from negligence, you may be able to seek damages for that crash. Seeking compensation may be easier with a New York car accident lawyer on your case.
Why You May Want to Hire an Attorney
Deciding to hire an attorney for your car accident case could end up providing you with many benefits. Not only can a lawyer often help you get maximum compensation for the wreck, they can also take over everything having to do with your case. Learn about the benefits of hiring an attorney for your collision in New York:
- Communication: Your lawyer will serve as the point of communication for everyone involved in your case, including insurance companies, the other driver, their legal representation, and more.
- Efficiency: Working with an attorney means that you will have someone who knows the law on your side. They will efficiently get everything needed for your case together for you, so you do not have to worry about it. This includes all necessary evidence such as witness testimony, accident scene photos, medical records, and much more.
- Timeliness: According to New York Civil Practice Law & Rules (CVP) §214(5), you have three years from the date of the car accident to file your claim. Sometimes, it can take a while to get all the evidence ready. Your lawyer will ensure that your claim is filed before the New York statute of limitations expires.
New York Negligence Laws and How They Affect Your Case
According to CVP §1411, New York adheres to contributory negligence laws. If you have any blame for the wreck assigned to you, then you are still eligible to seek compensation, but your total award will be reduced by that percentage. For example, if your award total is $200,000, but you were assigned 20 percent of the blame, then you would receive $160,000. Your attorney will try to get your fault reduced by arguing that you were not the negligent party who caused the collision.
Types of Compensation You May Recover
Some types of compensation that you may be able to recover after being in an auto accident in New York include:
- Lost Wages: You may end up missing time at work because of the accident and deserve to be compensated for that.
- Future Earning Potential: If the accident leaves you with severe injuries or disabilities, then you may not be able to return to work and should be compensated.
- Medical Bills: Doctor visits, hospital stays, surgery costs, and other medical bills can get quite expensive, and the other driver’s insurance company should be covering these for you.
- Estimated Future Medical Costs: Severe injuries may indicate that you could need lengthy rehabilitation or physical therapy treatments for years to come, and those costs can add up rapidly.
- Personal Property Damage: You deserve to receive compensation for the damage that was done to your vehicle in the accident.
- Wrongful Death: If you lose a loved one in an auto accident, then you could file for funeral expenses, loss of financial support, loss of companionship, and more.
- Pain and Suffering: You can also file for noneconomic damages that can compensate you for the pain and suffering you endured as a result of the accident.
Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm Today
If you or a loved one were a victim of a car accident that happened because someone else was negligent, then you may be able to recover compensation for the wreck. At Pintas & Mullins Law Firm, our team has more than 35 years of experience in personal injury law and we work tirelessly to try to get the maximum amount of compensation for our clients.
Contact us today for a free initial consultation where a New York car accident lawyer will discuss your case with you. We are standing by to take your call at (800) 223-5115.