Accidents involving large commercial trucks can be devastating for families that then must endure substantial medical bills, loss of wages, and pain and suffering. Trucking accidents involving large commercial trucks and passenger vehicles often cause substantial injuries and losses. In many cases, these types of accidents require complicated investigations in order to prove liability and receive compensation for any injuries or losses.
If you or a family member suffered injuries resulting from an accident with a large commercial truck, learn today how a Berwyn big rig truck accident lawyer at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 794-0444 can help you pursue the compensation you deserve.
Big Rig Truck Accidents
Big rig trucks are any type of large commercial trucks that typically carry a trailer behind them on the roadways. In some cases, these big rig trucks weigh in excess of 80,000 pounds. When that amount of force impacts a passenger vehicle, substantial damage and injuries often occur. The reason for the actual accident will determine who is responsible for paying compensation to victims for their injuries and losses. Determining causation, negligence, and fault can result in a challenging and complex legal process. If you suffered any injuries as a result of an accident involving a big rig truck, learn how a Berwyn big rig truck accident lawyer at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can help conduct an independent investigation to determine negligence and fault. Call today for a free case evaluation.
Possible Reasons for a Big Rig Accident
While there are many reasons an accident with a large big rig truck can occur, the following are some typical causes and reasons for a big rig accident.
- The driver of the big rig operated the truck under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- The driver of the big rig fell asleep at the wheel or operated the truck while drowsy
- The driver operated the big rig truck while distracted, such as texting and driving
- The cargo load placed into the truck remained unbalanced or unsecured in such a way that it caused the big rig to tip over
- The trucking company failed to hire a truck driver with sufficient experience or training
- The driver of the big rig failed to follow any signs or traffic lights as required by law
- The big rig had a manufacturing defect that directly caused the big rig truck accident
For a free legal consultation with a Big Rig Truck Accidents Lawyer serving Berwyn, call (800) 794-0444
Proving Negligence in a Big Rig Accident
Whatever the reason the accident with a large commercial truck occurred, in order for a victim to receive compensation for their injuries and losses, they will have to have evidence of who actually caused the accident. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration under the Code of Federal Regulations requires that all commercial trucks operate their vehicles in a certain way, as well as record details and evidence regarding their travel and cargo. In order to attempt to prove negligence in a big rig accident, a victim should ensure that the following evidence has a full and complete examination including:
- Obtaining the maintenance logbook of the big rig truck, which describes the total amount of hours the driver operated the big rig truck as well as any maintenance performed on the truck
- The Hours of Service logbook, which will detail the rest breaks of the driver either proving that the driver had enough rest or operated the truck without required rest breaks
- The evidence addressing the loading of cargo in the truck, including which persons loaded the cargo and which supervisors approved the cargo loading
- Obtaining any evidence that may ultimately prove that the driver operated the motor vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Black box of the truck which will have information regarding the actual time the vehicle was not traveling (pointing to possible driver fatigue), or when the brakes were in use (pointing to the fact that the driver failed to stop appropriately), etc.
- Police report that details possible negligence or recklessness on the part of the truck driver
Berwyn Big Rig Truck Accidents Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Compensation for Victims Involved in Big Rig Truck Accidents
If you were a victim involved in a big rig truck accident, you may have serious injuries, property damage, pain and suffering, and the inability to return to work resulting in lost wages. Every case will involve a different set of facts and circumstances. However, you have the legal right to pursue compensation for the injuries and losses you received as a result of someone else’s negligence.
Whether it was the truck driver, trucking company, cargo loading company, or a manufacturing defect that caused your accident, you have the right to receive justice and compensation for your injuries and losses. Some of the types of compensation that you may have the right to receive as a victim of a big rig truck accident include the following:
- Medical costs associated with doctor visits, surgery, diagnostic testing, emergency room treatment, ambulance rides, radiology, prescription medications, hospitalization, and continued physical or mental health therapy.
- Future medical costs that are likely expected from any type of continued physical therapy, mental health treatments, long-term rehabilitation, surgeries, or continued medications.
- Lost wages as a result of the inability to return to work which will include normal wages, overtime, retirement benefits, bonuses, vehicle reimbursements, additional employee benefits, or other wages or benefits typically provided.
- Lost earning capacity due to an inability to return to the same type of employment prior to the accident
- Current Opinion in Ophthalmology indicates that noneconomic damages regarding personal injury claims account for 24% of the $250 billion spent annually in lawsuits. Pain and suffering are always included in the noneconomic damages of any victim’s claim as well.
Click to contact our Big Rig Truck Accidents Lawyers today
A Berwyn Park Big Rig Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help You Today
If you suffered any kind of injuries as a result of a big rig trucking accident, learn how a Berwyn Park big rig truck accident lawyer at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 794-0444 can help you understand your legal rights and help you with your next steps.