An 18-wheeler truck with a full cargo load can weigh up to 40 tons—an amount that is equal to the weight of ten average passenger cars. These accidents are among the worst in terms of property damage, bodily injury, and loss of life.
Because 18-wheeler trucks are so large, it is usually others on the road who suffer the greatest injuries. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were nearly 4,800 people killed in crashes involving large trucks in 2017. Of those fatalities, 72% were occupants of other vehicles.
If you or a loved one was injured in a collision involving an 18-wheeler truck, we may be able to help. An Arlington Heights 18-wheeler truck accident lawyer can stand up to the insurance company to help you recover compensation for your suffering.
For a free case review with Pintas & Mullins Law Firm, call (800) 794-0444 today.
When to Call an 18-Wheeler Truck Accident Lawyer
If you were hurt in an accident with an 18-wheeler truck, you should know that most trucking companies and their insurance adjusters react quickly. Many times, these other parties try to avoid paying damages or they pressure the injured victims to accept a lowball offer.
You may decline to speak to an insurance adjuster until you have talked to an Arlington Heights 18-wheeler truck accident lawyer. You may also make your statement in writing with a lawyer’s assistance, to ensure you understand the questions and any legal terms. Doing so may help prevent you from inadvertently jeopardizing your claim if you are feeling unwell or groggy from medication.
Deadline for Personal Injury Lawsuits
The state of Illinois has a statute of limitations on personal injury lawsuits, including those for 18-wheeler truck accidents. According to the Illinois Code of Civil Procedure 735 ILCS 5, you have two years from the date of injury to take legal action.
This may sound like plenty of time, but many personal injury lawsuits are the result of failed insurance negotiations that can take an extensive amount of time. Rest assured that our team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can take your case to court if we do not receive an acceptable settlement. To learn more about your potential compensation from an 18-wheeler truck accident, call us today for a free consultation.
What an 18-Wheeler Truck Accident Lawyer Can Do
Truck accidents are often more complicated than other types of motor vehicle accidents. This is true for several reasons, including:
- There is a greater incidence of serious and extensive injuries.
- There are often large insurance policies involved.
- There can be several liable parties who played a direct or vicarious role.
Seeking compensation may not be the first thing on your to-do list if you or a loved one are seriously injured. An 18-wheeler truck accident lawyer from Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can be your legal advocate while you focus on your health or taking care of an injured loved one.
We Uncover Evidence of Liability
There are always two sides to every story when it comes to personal injury. That is why our firm has lawyers, paralegals, and investigators who can attempt to secure evidence of liability, rather than using unreliable or biased statements.
Some of the services we perform to help you recover damages include:
- Requesting information about the driver’s history, safety record, maintenance, and inspection for the vehicle
- Securing witness statements, police reports, accident reports, and medical records about your injuries
- Obtaining photos, videos, and the truck’s onboard electronic information system
- Talking to your healthcare provider about the exact nature of your injuries and how they may affect you financially, physically, and emotionally
An Arlington Heights 18-wheeler truck accident lawyer can then use this evidence, testimony, and documentation to build a claim for compensation.
For a free legal consultation with a 18-Wheeler Truck Accidents Lawyer serving Arlington Heights, call (800) 794-0444
Identifying Liable Parties in an 18-Wheeler Truck Accident
Truck accidents may involve several parties. An Arlington Heights 18-wheeler truck accident lawyer can work to identify those who contributed in some way to you or your loved one being injured.
There are various types of liability:
- Direct liability is the party or parties who may be personally responsible for your injuries.
- Vicarious liability refers to the responsibility of any entities who have an indirect relationship with those who are personally liable.
- Respondeat superior is a type of vicarious liability in which an employer may be held accountable for the liability or wrongdoing of an employee.
In an 18-wheeler truck accident case, a lawyer may seek compensation from the:
- Truck driver
- Truck owner (which is often different from the driver)
- Trucking company
- Truck, trailer, or parts manufacturer
- Safety inspector
An Arlington Heights 18-wheeler truck accident lawyer can take care of identifying and communicating with these parties for you. The goal is to keep your involvement to a minimum, so you do not have any additional stress from pursuing compensation and can focus on healing.
Arlington Heights 18-Wheeler Truck Accidents Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Let Us Help You Fight for Justice
While Pintas & Mullins Law Firm has a proven record of securing damages for our clients, we cannot guarantee the outcome of any claim or lawsuit. What we can promise is that we will fight for the maximum possible compensation for damages. This may include:
- Medical costs, including emergency care and ongoing treatment
- Lost pay from your injuries
- Reduced earning ability if your injuries prevent you from working at your previous job
- Partial or total disability
- Amputation or loss of a limb or bodily function
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
- Mental trauma
You did not ask to be hurt in an 18-wheeler truck accident, and you should not suffer financially for the physical and emotional harm that was inflicted on you by someone’s careless behavior.
If you or a loved one were hurt in an 18-wheeler accident, you could be awarded compensation for medical bills and other losses. An Arlington Heights 18-wheeler truck accident lawyer can seek damages on your behalf while you recover from your injuries. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today at (800) 794-0444 for a free consultation with a member of our team.