Zantac is a medication that adjusts the amount of stomach acid that your stomach produces. This protects multiple organs from being damaged by the acid. However, Zantac is now voluntarily recalled by the FDA because its main ingredient, Ranitidine, breaks down into NDMA (a possible carcinogen). Long-term exposure to NDMA is expected to cause cancer to develop in different parts of the body. As a result, the type of cancer caused by Zantac can vary from person to person, although there are several types that are more common.
Cancers Caused by Zantac
The types of cancer caused by Zantac vary from case to case but tends to follow a pattern. Essentially, these types of cancer are limited to the digestive system where organs come in contact with the digested NDMA. These types of cancers include:
- Esophageal cancer: Esophageal cancer is cancer in the esophagus or windpipe. Stomach acid containing NDMA can reach the esophagus, which is attached to the stomach.
- Stomach cancer: NDMA in the stomach is often in higher concentrations because it is where it is released from the Zantac. It tends to form in the lining of the stomach, which is normally protected by a mucus lining.
- Intestine cancer: As it passes out of the stomach, digested NDMA can lodge itself in the intestines and cause cancer to develop.
- Liver cancer: The liver processes toxins out of the body, including NDMA, which can cause liver cancer.
- Kidney cancer: The kidneys also help process toxins of the body and when it is exposed to NDMA, you can develop kidney cancer.
- Colorectal cancer: Colorectal cancer is cancer that develops in the colon and rectum. They are closely connected and are considered to have the same type of cancer.
- Bladder cancer: Bladders are exposed to NDMA while waiting to be expelled, increasing exposure times, and increasing the chances of developing cancer.
- Prostate cancer: The prostate is also exposed during the processing of ingested Zantac, leading to prostate cancer.
There are other types of cancer that are not covered on this list. It is important to closely monitor any potential conditions, especially cancer. If you took Ranitidine medications like Zantac, see your doctor about cancer screenings. Early detection is the key to beating the disease.
Other Conditions Caused by Zantac
Cancer is not the only major health concern that NDMA in Zantac can cause. Research by the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis also points to kidney and liver disease as possible injuries related to NDMA exposure. Ulcers and other stomach problems may also be the result of Zantac. Ulcers develop in the stomach and intestines when the mucus membrane that protects the soft tissue of those organs is eaten away by stomach acid and the tissue is damaged. Zantac may affect this lining and make ulcers more likely. If you are taking Zantac, consider switching to another medication with the help of your doctor.
For a free legal consultation with a What Type of Cancer Does Zantac Cause? Lawyer serving nationwide, call (800) 635-1144
Understanding Your Rights
If you or a loved one is injured by a medication, then you have the right to seek compensation from the manufacturer under specific circumstances. The U.S. Food & Drug Administration believes that the makers of Zantac should have known that Ranitidine could produce NDMA. Effective and thorough testing during the development and clinical trial phases should have revealed the problem. For whatever reason, it was not known or ignored. Because of this, many people are trying to hold the makers of Zantac responsible for endangering people and causing a wide range of personal injuries.
If the legal system agrees with this assertion, then all of the people claiming injuries because of Zantac are entitled to compensation for their injuries and the related expenses. To claim compensation, you will have to file a personal injury lawsuit. There are class-action lawsuits developing that you can join, or you can file an individual personal injury lawsuit. Before making any decisions, consult a lawyer about your case. While it may seem that your case is cut and dry, there are many factors that go into a successful case. Connect with a lawyer to discuss your legal options and see about building a stronger case.
What Type of Cancer Does Zantac Cause? Lawyer Near Me (800) 635-1144
Contact Us Today
Taking Zantac does not guarantee that you will develop cancer or other medical conditions, but there is a significant risk. Your doctor can help you determine if your injuries are related to taking Zantac and help you switch to another medication with a lower risk of side effects. If you or a loved one develops cancer or other medical conditions after taking Zantac, consult a lawyer as soon as possible.
The expenses related to treating these conditions can be expensive, and you may be able to seek compensation from the manufacturer. Contact Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 635-1144 for a consultation with our legal team. The consultation is free and we can discuss the specifics of your case to see if you may have a case to seek potential compensation.
Call or text (800) 635-1144 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form