Talcum powder containing traces of asbestos has been linked to cancer through research studies, according to the National Cancer Institute. Johnson & Johnson, the leading user of talcum powder is facing lawsuits for the health problems that its talcum powder products are causing, according to Reuters. Talcum powder is widely found in baby powder, among other products.
If you or a loved one has filed a lawsuit against Johnson & Johnson or have been diagnosed with cancer after using talcum powder products, you have the right to legal representation.
Conditions Potentially Caused by Talcum Powder
Research into talcum powder exposure has shown that it can cause a range of serious health conditions. As a result of this, Johnson & Johnson and other companies are being held responsible for their products. Some of the conditions caused by talcum powder include:
- Asthma: Breathing in talcum powder can cause problems with the upper respiratory system, including asthma.
- Pneumonia: In some cases, the damage caused by talcum powder can lead to pneumonia, which is life-threatening if left untreated.
- Respiratory problems: Talcum powder can severely dry the lining of your respiratory system, making it difficult to breathe. The damage left behind can turn into other respiratory conditions.
- Cancer: Various forms of cancer have been linked to talcum powder, including ovarian cancer and lung cancer, according to the Women’s Health Research Institute at Northwestern University.
There are other conditions that can be caused by talcum powder not mentioned on this list. If you or someone that you know has any of these conditions, make sure that they get the medical attention that they need. Also, contact a lawyer to see if you have any legal options to seek compensation.
Settlements and Trials
Although Johnson & Johnson is a major company, it is more likely to settle its talcum powder lawsuits. Settlements are out of court agreements between the plaintiffs and the defendant. Settlements can prevent lengthy trials that are expensive and can damage a company’s reputation severely. Rather than going to trial, it will likely try to settle as many of the lawsuits as possible by agreeing to pay a specific amount of money to the victims.
Settlements are not uncommon. Some cases are settled before they go to trial. Trials tend to lead to larger judgments and public scrutiny. It would be better for Johnson & Johnson as a company to settle the talcum powder lawsuits out of court.
For a free legal consultation with a Will J&J Settle Talcum Powder Cases? Lawyer serving nationwide, call (800) 794-0444
Class Action Lawsuits
With the number of possible lawsuits being leveled against Johnson &Johnson, it is likely that the legal system will convert the individual cases into a class-action lawsuit. A class-action lawsuit lets a group of people sue another group or company. A class-action lawsuit can be easier for everyone involved. The company will not have to fight a large number of lawsuits simultaneously, the legal system won’t be overburdened by many variations of the same lawsuit, and the victims can pool their resources to hold Johnson & Johnson accountable.
Will J&J Settle Talcum Powder Cases? Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Signs of Asbestos Exposure from Talcum Powder
Asbestos is known to cause cancer and can be found in talcum powder. It is not an intended ingredient. Asbestos and talcum are closely linked in nature. They are often found near each other and can be mixed together when talc is mined. Talcum powder can expose you to asbestos, which can make you sick. Some of the signs of asbestos exposure include:
- Difficulty breathing: Asbestos can damage the lungs and airways, making it harder to breathe.
- Mesothelioma: If you used talcum powder products and are diagnosed with mesothelioma, it may be due to asbestos in the talcum powder. Asbestos is the only known cause of mesothelioma.
- Pleural effusion: Pleural effusion (fluids building up around the lungs) can make breathing difficult. It restricts the movement of the lungs and the fluids need to be drained in order to fix the problem.
- Crackling: A crackling sound when you breathe indicates that there may be buildup in your lungs. Lung tissue tries to isolate any foreign invader and force it out, which can cause a dry crackling sound.
- Excessive coughing: If fluids or other items are stuck in the lungs and airway, you cough to try to force it out. This happens excessively when your lungs are damaged or filled with asbestos.
There are other signs of asbestos exposure not included on this list. Talc and asbestos have largely been removed from major products, but it is still possible to be exposed. Consult a physician to help you get the medical treatment that you need.
Click to contact our Will J&J Settle Talcum Powder Cases? Lawyers today
Discuss What Happened with a Lawyer
Talcum powder has been linked to several forms of cancer, including ovarian cancer, as well as other conditions. If you or a loved one has been affected by asbestos or talcum powder exposure, consult a lawyer. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 794-0444 to speak to us about your options for seeking compensation.