Nursing homes are regularly inspected to make sure that residents receive the accepted levels of care in a safe environment.
While state inspectors do their best, there are approximately 117,000 people who live in 625 nursing homes throughout the state, according to the New York State Department of Health (DOH).
It is all too common for residents to suffer from abuse or neglect from careless staff members. Untreated infections are usually a sign of nursing home neglect, and this is unacceptable.
If you or a loved one suffered from an untreated infection in a nursing home, please call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today. We may be able to help you recover compensation. Call us for a free consultation with a New York City untreated infections lawyer.
Why Untreated Infections Are Dangerous
Infections not treated properly, particularly if they are contagious, can easily cause illness and loss of life to nursing home residents.
Nursing home residents are more vulnerable to infections for several reasons:
- They are age 65 or older.
- They may have chronic medical conditions such as cancer or diabetes that compromise their immune system.
- They live in close quarters to each other.
- They may not be as adept or even able to practice good hygiene, such as hand washing.
Nursing home staff should practice established protocols to avoid an outbreak caused by untreated infections. When they do not follow these protocols, many residents will needlessly suffer or die from a preventable condition.
When nursing homes turn a blind eye to elder abuse or neglect that leads to infections untreated, they should be held accountable. You could recover compensation for your loved one’s injuries and losses.
Infections Untreated Can Bring About Sepsis
Nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers have seen too many people suffer from sepsis. This is a potentially fatal medical condition.
According to the Mayo Clinic, sepsis occurs when the body’s immune system gets out of balance due to an underlying infection. Nursing home residents who are not properly treated for a bacterial, viral, or fungal infection can contract sepsis.
Sepsis requires immediate medical care in a hospital or facility with ICU capabilities. People suffering from sepsis can quickly go into septic shock. About 40 percent of those with septic shock pass away.
For a free legal consultation with an untreated infections lawyer serving New York City, call (800) 794-0444
Nursing Home Residents Deserve Swift Treatment for All Infections
While infections may be more common in older people with compromised immune systems and chronic medical issues, they can often be successfully treated. This treatment may be antibiotics, anti-fungal, or other medications designed to enhance recovery and relieve symptoms.
Tragically, some nursing homes do not follow accepted standards of care. Neglect—ignoring a resident’s basic health and life needs—is often the culprit for untreated infections.
New York City Untreated Infections Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
When to Call an Untreated Infections Lawyer
Pintas & Mullins Law Firm has helped other nursing home abuse and neglect clients recover compensation. Each case is different, and past results are not a guarantee of future outcomes. However, our elder abuse and neglect lawyers are passionate about helping the most vulnerable in our community when they are harmed through neglect or abuse.
Some of our client-driven services include:
- A free case evaluation at your home, the hospital, nursing home, our office, or by telephone.
- Accessible client service and regular updates about your case.
- A thorough examination of your case as we secure evidence, testimony, and documentation to help you recover compensation.
- A valuation of damages to help make you and your loved one whole.
- Pursuing compensation through the liable party’s insurance coverage or with a lawsuit.
We take care of communicating with the liable party on your behalf. New York state has statutes of limitations, so you may not want to wait before taking action. We do not charge for initial consultations and work on a contingency basis only.
Click to contact our Untreated Infections Lawyers today
Determining Liability in Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Cases
Our nursing home abuse attorneys have an in-depth understanding of liability and negligence laws. We build cases based on the evidence, testimony, and documentation that we secure.
This evidence can help us prove that:
- The nursing home had a duty of care to protect residents from harm, including treatment for infections.
- The nursing home breached this duty in some manner.
- This negligence led to physical and emotional suffering.
- These injuries resulted in damages such as medical bills and mental anguish.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Recovering Damages from Abuse and Neglect in a Nursing Home
Infections left untreated can quickly lead to huge medical and lifecare costs. Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can help you identify your financial losses and pursue compensation.
Some of the most common compensatory damages for nursing home abuse and neglect include:
- Corrective and restorative medical care
- Lifecare costs
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
If you lost a loved one from an untreated infection, a New York City untreated infections lawyer can help you recover compensation through a wrongful death claim or legal action.
Causes of Infections
Infections are caused by bacteria, viruses, or a fungus. Typically, an infection needs to find a way into your body.
Nursing home residents may get an infection from:
- Open sores on their skin, caused by bedsores in immobile residents.
- Infected droplets entering through the nose, mouth, or eyes.
- Foodborne illnesses transmitted through infected staff members.
- Poor toilet and personal hygiene habits due to physical or cognitive impairment.
Common Infections Found in Nursing Homes
Some infections are highly contagious, especially in communal living spaces.
- Cold and flu
- Urinary tract
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
Nursing homes have an obligation to practice established disease prevention protocols. When they do not, they may be held accountable. The nursing home abuse and neglect attorneys at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can protect you and your loved one while helping you pursue compensation.
Contact an Untreated Infections Attorney for a Free Case Evaluation
Untreated infections are a sign of elder neglect or abuse. Both are unacceptable. Our nursing home lawyers at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can help you recover compensation and justice. Call us for a free consultation with a member of our team.