Among the factors that make elderly people more prone to falls are poor balance and failing eyesight. They often take blood thinners for heart or stroke prevention, so they can bruise more easily.
A diligent nursing home will report to you if your loved one fell and has cuts or bruises. However, if your spouse or parent suddenly has unexplained bruises, cuts, or burns, they may be the victim of nursing home abuse.
Pintas & Mullins Law Firm accepts nursing home cases. We are passionate about helping those who are suffering because of another person’s reckless or intentional act.
We invite you to call our firm today for a free consultation. Our New York City unexplained bruises or cuts or burns lawyers may be able to help you and your loved one. Call us to speak with a member of our team.
How Unexplained Bruises, Cuts, or Burns May Occur
Your loved one may have unexplained bruises, cuts, or burns as the result of a negligent caregiver:
- Hitting, punching, or pinching.
- Pushing them into a chair, bed, or onto the floor.
- Using excessive force when helping them with daily activities, such as transferring or toileting.
- Using restraints to keep them in a chair or bed.
- Ignoring their call for medication, food, water, or other activity, which results in injuries due to neglect.
- Scalding your loved one during the bathing process.
- Being careless with needles when administering medicine or drawing blood.
Nursing home abuse happens more than you may think. According to a study in the Annals of Internal Medicine, approximately one out of five residents in 10 New York state nursing homes suffered mistreatment from 2009-2013.
What Happens if Your Loved One Is a Victim of Nursing Home Abuse
The health and safety of your loved one is paramount. Please take whatever reasonable measures you feel are necessary to protect them from further harm.
These steps may include:
- Call 9-1-1 for immediate life-threatening situations.
- Get medical care and treatment.
- Take photos of your loved one’s bruises, cuts, and other injuries.
- Notify the nursing home administrator and/or file a nursing home complaint form with the New York State Department of Health.
- Make alternative living arrangements for your loved one.
We recommend that you catalog all expenses, such as receipts or bills for medical care, prescriptions, and relocation or temporary living arrangements. You should also consider talking to a New York City unexplained bruises or cuts or burns lawyer who can explain your legal options.
For a free legal consultation with an unexplained bruises or cuts or burns lawyer serving New York City, call (800) 794-0444
How You Could Recover Compensation
Nursing homes have a duty of care to provide the accepted standards of care to their residents. When they breach this duty of care, they may be held accountable for ensuing injuries or damages.
A lawyer with Pintas & Mullins Law Firm may be able to help you recover compensation by proving liability and negligence.
Our process of helping clients recover compensation often includes:
- Evaluating their case for free at their home, the hospital, our office, or by telephone.
- Securing evidence, testimony, and documentation of wrongdoing or liability.
- Identifying all liable parties who played a direct role or contributed in some way to their loved one’s injuries.
- Compiling receipts and proof of expenses.
- Communicating with all liable parties on their behalf.
We can remove the burden of pursuing recovery from your shoulders so that you may focus on your loved one’s health and well-being.
New York City Unexplained Bruises or Cuts or Burns Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Ways to Seek Recovery for Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect
Licensed nursing homes must carry insurance for liability and bodily injury. A lawyer with Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can file a claim against this insurance to help you recover compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering, and other losses.
Our lawyers take care of the details as we help you pursue compensation from several options:
- Insurance coverage
- Personal injury lawsuit
- Wrongful death lawsuit
We can negotiate a settlement on your behalf. Our legal team can also prepare a case for court if the other party will not negotiate in good faith.
Click to contact our Unexplained Bruises or Cuts or Burns Lawyers today
Do Not Wait to Act
New York state has a statute of limitations on taking legal action. This is a deadline for you to file a lawsuit against the nursing home for personal injury or wrongful death. Any complaints that are filed after the statute of limitations has passed will likely be dismissed by the court.
In general, you have three years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury lawsuit and two years from the date of your loved one’s passing for a wrongful death lawsuit.
It takes time to gather evidence and build a case. You will not want to wait to act should you suspect nursing home abuse.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Kinds of Damages Associated with Nursing Home Abuse
While past results do not guarantee future outcomes, a New York City unexplained bruises or cuts or burns lawyer from Pintas & Mullins Law Firm might be able to pursue compensation on your behalf.
Each case is different, but often a nursing home abuse case will include damages such as:
- Medical care and treatment
- Relocation and moving expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality and enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish
Negligent nursing homes should be held accountable for their actions. Contact Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today to see how we might be able to help.
Affordable Legal Representation for All
After your free case evaluation with a member of our team, you would not pay upfront fees if you decide to hire us. We would work to help you recover compensation on a contingency basis only. This allows us to offer legal representation to injured clients that is affordable and accessible.
We Are Here to Help
Nursing home abuse takes on many forms, including unexplained bruises, cuts, or burns. Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can protect your rights and help you recover compensation and justice.
Call us for a free case evaluation with a member of our firm.