It is a harsh reality that about one in five nursing home residents are abused. This includes physical abuse.
Should you suspect that your elderly loved one is being physically abused, we urge you to act now. Call the police if your spouse or parent is in immediate danger. Your next call might be to Pintas & Mullins Law Firm. We accept nursing home abuse and neglect cases and strive to help victims recover compensation.
Please call for a free consultation with a team member.
You Could Pursue Compensation From the Liable Party
The New York State Office of Children and Family Services defines physical abuse as any “non-accidental use of force” resulting in harm to a person’s body. This can include bruises (especially those shaped like a hand or fist), broken bones, abrasions, and burns.
Your loved one did not give up their rights upon moving into a residential nursing home. The state clearly spells out your rights as a nursing home resident in New York State and Nursing Home Responsibilities, including a safe place to live without violence.
Nursing home companies, administration, and staff who fail to uphold their duty of care to residents may be held liable. A New York City physical abuse lawyer can help you and your loved one seek financial awards for medical bills, mental anguish, and other losses.
Why Call a Physical Abuse Lawyer
You may have photographic proof of your loved one’s injuries (such as bruises or burn marks), but it can be challenging to use this evidence within the legal system. New York has specific requirements on the plaintiff (in this case, your elderly loved one and you if you are their guardian) to show a preponderance of the evidence that the nursing home is at-fault.
Pintas & Mullins Law Firm has helped other people in similar situations. We do not shy away from tough cases. We have practiced law for many years, and we will not be intimidated by powerful defendants who are ready to refute your claim.
Benefits for You and Your Loved One
A New York City physical abuse lawyer can protect your rights and guide you through the complex process of seeking compensation.
There are other potential benefits if you decide to hire Pintas & Mullins Law Firm to help you with your claim:
- Free case evaluation at your home, the hospital, our office, or by telephone.
- We work on a contingency basis only; there are no upfront fees for you to pay, and we are compensated only if we successfully resolve your case.
- We are available 24/7.
- Our legal and professional staff can thoroughly examine and investigate your case to secure evidence of liability and wrongdoing.
- We keep you informed and up to date at each stage.
Perhaps the biggest benefit that our clients receive is the peace of mind in knowing that they have a lawyer on their side. A New York City physical abuse lawyer with our firm can pursue compensation for you so you can take the time you need to be with your loved one.
We invite you to call today for a free consultation with a member of our firm.
For a free legal consultation with an physical abuse lawyer serving New York City, call (800) 794-0444
What You Might Recover for Compensatory Damages
Physical abuse is a crime. Filing a nursing home abuse lawsuit is a civil action designed to help you and your loved one recover damages for bodily injury.
Pintas & Mullins Law Firm may be able to pursue compensation on your behalf that includes:
- Emergency medical care and treatment
- Skilled nursing or rehabilitative care
- Lifecare services
- Relocation expenses, if applicable
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of companionship or consortium
- Wrongful death if your loved one passed away after suffering physical abuse
Your loved one was a victim of a ruthless or careless perpetrator, but you may need the help of a lawyer to help bring this shameful incident to light and get you compensation for your losses.
New York City Physical Abuse Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
When Should You Call a Physical Abuse Lawyer
Please make sure your loved one is out of harm’s way and in a trusted physician’s care. You may want to temporarily relocate your loved one into your home, a hotel, or another nursing home facility if it is unsafe to return.
After your loved one is safe and receiving the medical care they need, you may want to call us to discuss your case.
There are several reasons why you may want to call a physical abuse lawyer as soon as possible:
- New York, like other states, has a statute of limitations on filing personal injury lawsuits.
- Physical evidence fades over time, so you want to get photographic proof of the abuse while you can.
- Other evidence of abuse, such as restraining straps on your loved one’s bed, can be removed before you obtain proof.
- Witnesses should be interviewed promptly for the most accurate recall.
You and your loved one deserve to move on after this horrific event. The sooner you act, the sooner you could recover damages to help with your economic and emotional losses.
Click to contact our Physical Abuse Lawyers today
Some Nursing Home Residents Are More Vulnerable to Abuse
According to the National Council on Aging, some residents are more at risk than others for physical abuse from caregivers.
These risk factors include:
- Residents with cognitive impairments, including dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Residents who are socially isolated and do not have regular visits from family members or friends.
- Residents with physical impairments such as mobility issues.
Physical abuse does not always come from nursing home staff. Sometimes, it is other residents who cause harm due to the lack of negligence by staff members.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call a Physical Abuse Lawyer Serving New York City Today
After you get your loved one to safety and medical care, it may be time to call a New York City physical abuse lawyer who can hold a negligent nursing home accountable. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today for a free consultation. A friendly team member is ready to take your call now.