Nursing home abuse and neglect is the negligent or intentional act of harming a person with physical, emotional, sexual, or financial abuse. It is also the failure to adhere to accepted standards of care in a licensed nursing home.
It is difficult to comprehend how a nursing home could permit your parent or spouse to be abused or neglected. You should know that nursing home abuse and neglect are all too common in Illinois and throughout the country.
Should you suspect nursing home abuse or neglect, act now to protect your loved one. Call the Pintas & Mullins Law Firm to find out your legal rights. We will review your case at no cost or obligation to you. Call us.
Why Discovering Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect Can Be Difficult
We hear from some clients that they are embarrassed or feel guilty about missing the first warning signs of nursing home abuse or neglect. As nursing home abuse lawyers, we want you to understand that it is sometimes difficult to spot these red flags.
After all, nursing home residents are older. They may fall. They may forget names and dates. They are often frail and have one or more serious medical conditions.
However, a reputable nursing home should talk to you about any changes to your loved one’s physical or mental health. A trustworthy caregiver has nothing to hide and will notify you right away about a fall or injury.
Warning Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Nursing home abuse and elder abuse take on many forms.
- Physical abuse
- Verbal abuse
- Emotional or psychological abuse
- Financial abuse
- Sexual abuse
It is important to remember that your elderly loved one may be a victim of a crime. They have done nothing to provoke this abuse and violence.
Know the Warning Signs of Abuse and Neglect
We have handled countless cases of nursing home abuse and neglect. That is why we would like to share the potential signs of nursing home abuse or neglect that might include:
- Repeated or unexplained falls, fractures, or injuries
- Unexplained weight loss
- Poor personal hygiene such as dirty clothes and greasy, unwashed skin and hair
- Abrupt changes in social and interpersonal relationships
- Visible fear or apprehension around a person or place
- Stained, bloodied, or torn undergarments
- Unexplained ATM withdrawals or credit card charges
The Pintas & Mullins Law Firm has a deep understanding of nursing home abuse and neglect cases. We are here to answer your questions. Please call for a free case review.
For a free legal consultation with a Nursing Home Injury Lawyer serving Stickney, call (800) 794-0444
What I Should Do if I Suspect Abuse
Nursing home abuse and neglect can be widespread or limited to a single caregiver. Whatever the case may be for your loved one, you may need to act quickly.
Unscrupulous caregivers prey on the most vulnerable of nursing home residents. They know that their victims are physically frail and often suffer from memory loss. It is up to concerned family members like you to protect your spouse, parent, or loved one.
We recommend the following actions:
- Call 9-1-1 if your loved one is in immediate danger.
- Take your loved one to an urgent care facility or emergency room.
- Keep all medical records, test results, and bills.
- Report the nursing home to the appropriate state or federal governmental agency.
Most importantly, we suggest that you talk to a lawyer who accepts nursing home abuse cases.
Stickney Nursing Home Injury Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Why I Should Call the Pintas & Mullins Law Firm
Our legal team has helped many elderly victims recover compensation and seek justice. We are passionate about giving a legal voice to those who are often unheard.
You do not have to face the confusing legal and medical aftermath of nursing home abuse on your own.
Our law firm provides the following services:
- Free, no-obligation case review at your home, the hospital, the nursing home, our office, or over the phone
- No recovery, no fee representation; you do not pay anything upfront and we are paid only if we are successful in recovering compensation.
- Personal client service with regular updates about your case
- Over thirty years of results for our clients
We invite you to call today for a free case review and to learn more about what a Stickney nursing home injury lawyer can do for you.
Click to contact our Nursing Home Injury Lawyers today
We Build a Compelling Case For Compensation and Justice
There are 1,200 nursing homes and long-term care facilities in Illinois with about 100,000 residents. While we have the utmost respect for the Illinois Department of Public Health and other agencies that regulate nursing homes, the system is not perfect.
You do not want your loved one to fall through the cracks and for abuse to continue without consequences.
A Stickney nursing home injury lawyer with the Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can help build a persuasive case using:
- Documentation, evidence, and expert testimony
- Police, first-responder, and hospital reports
- Witness statements
- Proof of abuse such as photos of injuries, medical tests and scans, and a statement from a healthcare provider about the extent of your loved one’s injuries
- Previous violations or complaints against the nursing home staff and administration
Your loved one should have a written contract with the nursing home. This contract is the nursing home’s legal commitment to provide your loved one with a standard of care as defined by state and federal guidelines.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
We Will Diligently Pursue Compensation
Your focus is on the health and well-being of your loved one. You should not have to deal with an insurance adjuster or the defendant’s lawyer.
A Stickney nursing home injury lawyer with the Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can pursue compensatory damages that might include:
- Medical care, attention, and transport
- Moving expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Lost, stolen, or damaged personal property
- Other related out-of-pocket costs
Call a Stickney Nursing Home Injury Lawyer Today
Like most states, Illinois has a statute of limitations for filing a personal injury lawsuit. You want to be able to explore all your options for seeking compensation, including legal action.
Call the Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today for a free case review today.