Unexplained bruises, black and blue marks, welts, abrasions, or cuts can be a warning sign that your loved one may be a victim of nursing home abuse. Abuse in a nursing home is sadly more common than you may imagine, both in private and government-subsidized long-term care facilities.
Our attorneys handle many nursing home abuse and neglect cases. We urge you to take immediate action if you fear for your parent or spouse in their current living situation.
A nursing home abuse attorney with Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can protect your rights and help you recover compensation. Please call us today for a free case review.
Taking Legal Action to Protect an Abused Senior in a Nursing Home
The Illinois Department on Aging is clear on its website that long-term care residents in Illinois are “guaranteed certain rights, protections, and privileges according to state and federal laws.”
Unfortunately, some of the 1,200 nursing homes and long-term facilities in our state recklessly or knowingly violate these rights. That is when you should contact an Oak Park bruises lawyer who is understanding of nursing home abuse and neglect cases.
As your legal advocate, Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can:
- Take immediate legal action if your loved one’s personal safety is at risk.
- Obtain copies of medical records, nurse’s logbooks, and other essential documentation.
- Identify all liable parties.
- Consult with medical, geriatric, or elder abuse experts.
We take care of the details in building a strong case against an abusive caregiver and negligent nursing home. This allows you to take care of your loved one.
Please call us today for a free case evaluation.
We Handle Many Types of Nursing Home Abuse Cases
Bruises, especially those not caused by a known incident or medication (like blood thinners), can be a clear warning sign of abuse in the elderly.
Bruises may be inflicted intentionally, such as a caregiver hitting or shoving a resident. They may be inflicted through negligence, such as a resident trying to stand unassisted because the caregiver is ignoring calls for help.
Our elder abuse lawyers help you and your loved ones in cases involving:
- Physical abuse.
- Sexual abuse.
- Emotional abuse.
- Verbal abuse.
- Financial abuse.
- Medical negligence.
- Neglect of basic needs.
As our valued client, you have the resources and strength of Pintas & Mullins Law Firm by your side. You are never alone in your fight for compensation and justice.
For a free legal consultation with a Bruises Lawyer serving Oak Park, call (800) 794-0444
Proving Negligence for Neglect or Abuse in a Nursing Home
There are four factors that must be present before you can pursue awards for damages.
A lawyer for the elderly with our firm needs to establish liability based upon the following:
- Duty of care is the nursing home’s legal obligation to provide a safe, clean environment without violence, abuse, or neglect; and medical care using accepted healthcare standards.
- Breach of duty occurs when the nursing home does not uphold this duty of care through negligence or omission.
- Causation occurs when this breach of duty causes bodily injury.
- Damages are losses caused by physical and emotional injuries.
Nursing home abuse and neglect is a violation of state statutes and federal laws. There is no time to waste if your loved one is being neglected or abused. Please call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today for a free case review.
Oak Park Bruises Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Possible Compensatory Awards in a Nursing Home Lawsuit
Bruises are just one aspect of the horrific effects of abuse in a nursing home. Nursing home abuse is an underreported crime because its victims are older, frail, and usually dependent on their abusive caregiver for their daily living needs.
We can take legal action to stop this vicious cycle of fear and violence, and to get you the compensation and justice you deserve.
A lawyer with Pintas & Mullins Law Firm will work to help you recover a financial award that might include:
- Emergency transport, medical treatment, medical testing, and prescriptions.
- Relocation expenses.
- Hospitalization, rehabilitation, and therapy.
- Pain and suffering.
- Diminished quality of life.
- Private property loss or damage.
- Mental anguish.
- Other related expenses such as mileage to doctor’s appointments, and medical care not covered by Medicare or your private insurance.
Click to contact our Bruises Lawyers today
Your Time to Act is Limited by Illinois Statutes
Your loved one’s safety and well-being come first. However, we encourage you to call our law firm for a free case review as soon as possible.
There are several reasons for this:
- It takes time to build a strong case, and Illinois has a two-year statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits.
- Bruises fade with time (we ask that you take photos or videos).
- Evidence can be discarded or removed.
- Your loved one deserves justice and compensation for the best quality of life today.
Our nursing home lawyers work on a contingency basis. You do not pay upfront fees. Pintas & Mullins Law Firm is paid only if we are successful in recovering compensation through a settlement or verdict. Call today for a free case review.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Bruises Are a Warning Sign of Elder Abuse
It is often a sharp-eyed family member who spots the first signs of abuse or neglect in the elderly. We encourage you to follow your instinct: if you suspect something is wrong, find out more. Your loved one has a legal contract with the nursing home, and it is your right to make sure that your spouse or parent is receiving proper care.
The National Institute on Aging lists the following as warning signs of elder abuse:
- Unexplained cuts, bruises, and burns
- Bed sores
- Agitation or abrupt change in mood
- Unwashed hair and clothes
- Sudden withdrawal from favorite activities and social interactions
Please take whatever steps you feel are necessary to protect your loved one, including calling 9-1-1 for immediate or life-threatening situations.
Call Our Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys for a Free Case Review
An Oak Park bruises lawyer with Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can protect your rights and pursue awards for damages on your behalf. A member of our team is ready to take your call now.