When your loved one sustains an injury while living in a nursing home, you should always take this matter seriously. Ask questions to management and staff until you receive answers. Do not rest until they assure you that whichever injuries your loved one sustained are genuinely the result of an accident. If you do not receive those answers, it is time to call law enforcement to investigate. It is also time to get in touch with a Cicero nursing home injury lawyer.
Call our team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today if you suspect that your loved one suffered mistreatment while living in a nursing home.
Take Action Right Away if You Suspect Mistreatment
If you suspect that your loved one is being mistreated in their nursing home, the first thing that you should do is contact staff since they are in charge of your loved one’s safety. You should receive assurance that your loved one is being treated with care.
This may not be enough for you. If you are not satisfied with the explanations from nursing home administrators, contact law enforcement and let them know about any mistreatment that you suspect. If you believe that abuse has taken place resulting in an injury to your loved one, then you should call a Cicero nursing home injury lawyer immediately.
A Lawyer Will Help You Spot the Signs of Abuse
If your loved one’s injury is the result of abuse by nursing home staff, it is important that you consider the signs that may indicate abuse from your previous interactions or visits to the facility in the past. This could play a role in any case you bring seeking compensation from parties liable for the abuse.
Physical and Emotional Abuse
Unfortunately, the elderly are the targets for various forms of abuse by perpetrators. Physical abuse and emotional abuse are two forms of elder abuse. If your loved one has an injury with an unknown origin or explanation, it may be evidence of physical abuse. According to the National Institute on Aging, possible indications of physical abuse, include:
- Injuries such as cuts, bruises, scrapes, burns, and lacerations.
- Broken bones, specifically a spiral fracture, which happens when someone twists a bone, indicating abuse.
When it comes to spotting the signs of elder abuse in your loved one’s personality, some of the changes could include:
- Showing signs of fear and anxiety in situations where it seems unusual.
- A depressed mood.
- Withdrawing from activities that your loved one typically enjoys.
- Acting out violently.
- Displaying fear towards specific caregivers.
Another form of mistreatment that is common in nursing homes is neglect by caretakers.
Neglect can put your loved one’s health at immediate risk. Some possible signs of neglect include:
- Poor hygiene, such as uncleaned teeth or dentures, excessive body odor, and other indications that your loved one is not regularly or properly bathing.
- Uncombed hair.
- Dirty clothes.
- Unshaven face.
- Full bedpan.
Neglect and physical abuse can have a crippling effect on your loved one’s mental health, as can emotional abuse. If your loved one displays one or more of these possible signs of neglect or physical abuse in the past, then you may have reason to bring a lawsuit against the liable parties.
A Cicero Nursing Home Injury Lawyer Will Start Your Case For Compensation
If your loved one suffers elder abuse or neglect, then someone is responsible, and justice must be served. A lawyer will speak to you about your loved one’s injury and any other indications that they suffered harm.
A Cicero nursing home injury lawyer will assist you by:
- Creating a clear record of your observations that is ready for use in court.
- Documenting any recollection that your loved one has of being abused or neglected, which could be powerful evidence.
- Filing your case in court as soon as possible.
- Collecting any available evidence of wrongdoing by the defendant or defendants in your case, such as closed-circuit videotape of abuse or neglect.
- Interviewing any witnesses that can attest that abuse or neglect took place.
- Consulting with medical professionals, who may be able to explain that injuries suffered by your loved one are consistent with abuse or neglect.
- Corresponding with counsel for the defense to make you aware of any settlement offers that the defense extends.
- Taking every step necessary to bring your case to completion, either a judgement or settlement.
- Defending your rights throughout the legal process.
A Cicero nursing home injury lawyer will use a combination of physical evidence, testimony, and logic in order to show the court that your loved one sustained injuries while living in a nursing home. If they are successful in putting forth your case, then your loved one could be entitled to compensation for their hardship.
For a free legal consultation with a Nursing Home Injury Lawyer serving Cicero, call (800) 794-0444
Possible Compensation From a Nursing Home Abuse Claim
Every claim of abuse or neglect is unique, and the compensation that your loved one may be entitled to will vary depending on the specifics of their case. Some possible forms of awards include coverage for:
- The trauma of being abused or neglected by those who are supposed to be caring and protective.
- Medical procedures that are necessary to treat abuse or victims of neglect.
- The time that they spent in the nursing home where the abuse occurred.
Cicero Nursing Home Injury Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Call Our Team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm Today
We pride ourselves on treating each client like family, so we take your loved one’s mistreatment personally. Call our team today to discuss your case at no cost.
Our clients pay nothing out-of-pocket or upfront, and we only collect a fee if we secure a judgement or settlement for your loved one.