When you receive a mesothelioma diagnosis, it can be a shocking and stressful moment in your life. You may not know what to do next or who to turn to, but you do have options. A Rockford asbestos lawyer may be able to assist you in exploring those options so that you can obtain the compensation you deserve.
At Pintas & Mullins Law Firm, we have helped victims of lung cancer, mesothelioma, and asbestos exposure recover the money they need to pay the financial obligations of cancer treatment and alleviate the pain and suffering their diagnosis has caused.
If you have been recently diagnosed with mesothelioma or other lung cancer and think it could be linked to asbestos, we may be able to help you. Contact us today at (800) 217-6099 to schedule a free consultation with a team member.
How to Establish Your Asbestos Exposure
If you think asbestos caused your cancer, it is important to establish when and where the exposure happened. Many older buildings had asbestos in them, and the material was used even after asbestos manufacturers knew the dangers it could cause. If you are a plumber, electrician, or construction worker, then your asbestos exposure could have happened on the job. You may have also brought asbestos fibers home with you, which could have affected your family members.
It is important for your claim to determine where the exposure happened, so you will know who to hold liable. If it was at your job, and the building owner knew asbestos was in the walls, then they may be the liable party. Asbestos manufacturers themselves could also be liable. Many of them have set up trusts to distribute funds to people who have encountered asbestos. Finding out what caused your exposure is an important first step toward getting an award. A lawyer could work to help you find that out so you can get the maximum compensation that you and your family deserve.
Why You May Need a Lawyer
While an asbestos claim may seem straightforward, you could end up with unforeseen complications. For example, if you were exposed at work, your employer’s legal team and insurance company could make it challenging for you to file a claim. You can try to go through your worker’s compensation program, but it could be hard to get the money that you need to cover the cost of cancer treatments, missed work, and more.
A Rockford asbestos lawyer could negotiate with an insurance company on your behalf, aiming to get fair compensation for you. In many cases, insurers make a low initial offer to get you to go away. However, accepting that offer could prove disastrous for you and your family. Your lawyer will fight for you to get the financial recovery that you need. They can navigate unexpected legal loopholes and argue your case using evidence, such as medical records, potential witness testimony, and more.
Your attorney will work on your behalf to prove the negligence of whoever is responsible for your asbestos exposure, whether it be your job, school, or other entity. They also know what trusts they can pursue from asbestos manufacturers on your behalf, which could increase your total award.
If you want to explore your legal options, call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today to set up a free consultation. We can answer your questions and help you understand what recourse you may have.
For a free legal consultation with a Rockford Lawyer serving Rockford, call (800) 794-0444
Costs You Could Include in Your Claim
Dealing with a diagnosis of a terminal illness takes a physical, emotional, and mental toll. You deserve to have an award that covers everything linked to your asbestos exposure. The costs you incur during cancer treatment can quickly pile up. You may be able to recover damages linked to:
- Lost wages. With a cancer diagnosis, you may need to either stop working entirely or miss time at work for treatments, surgeries, and more. These lost wages should be a part of your award, if possible.
- Future earnings. Often, cancer treatment makes it difficult or even impossible to resume the job you had. You and your family may be able to receive compensation for an estimate of the earnings you could have gotten if you were still able to work.
- Medical costs. Chemotherapy, radiation treatments, visits to the oncologist, and other medical bills will eat away at your savings and other financial resources. File for these costs so that you can get compensated for them.
- Wrongful death. If your loved one dies from asbestos exposure, you may be able to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit. We know that money will not make up for them being gone, but you should have the award you need to help you and your family transition into life without them.
- Pain and suffering. Going through cancer treatment is hard on you and your loved ones, both physically and mentally, and emotionally. Pain and suffering damages can help compensate for that mental and emotional turmoil.
Rockford Rockford Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
If You Received a Cancer Diagnosis Linked to Asbestos, Call Today
If you have been recently diagnosed with mesothelioma or other lung cancer and think asbestos could be the cause, we may be able to help you. At Pintas & Mullins Law Firm, we help personal injury victims recover the money they need to work toward moving on with their lives or compensating their loved ones for what happened.
Call us today at (800) 217-6099 for your free consultation with one of our team members, who can speak with you more about the details of your situation and how a Rockford asbestos lawyer may be able to help you.
Call or text (800) 794-0444 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form