Millions of us have lived, worked, and gone to school without ever realizing we were placing our health in jeopardy. Like so many other chemicals that were once commonly used before being banned or regulated, asbestos exposure has been proven to be one of the leading causes of lung cancer and other life-threatening illnesses.
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with cancer or any other asbestos-related illness, you have the right to seek full and fair financial compensation to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, and emotional pain and suffering.
Pintas & Mullins Law Firm has been fighting for the rights of those just like you for over 35 years. Our legal team works on a contingency basis and only collects our fee if you win. Call (800) 217-6099 today to schedule a free consultation with a team member. We can help you understand how a Champaign asbestos lawyer today could help your case.
Asbestos is a term many people know, but few can define. The National Cancer Institute explains that asbestos is the collective name of six naturally occurring minerals that appear as bundles of fibers. These fibers are easy to manipulate because they are resistant to fire and heat, making them useful for various commercial applications.
Because of asbestos’ durability and reasonable cost, it was used regularly in building construction, tiling and flooring, certain commercial products, and more right up until the Clean Air Act of 1970.
In accordance with the Clean Air Act, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) implemented several regulations on asbestos use. These included guidelines for on-the-job exposure to the chemical, guidelines for workers’ rights, and explanations of various legal options for victims of negligence.
Asbestos and Your Health
In many cases, people who worked in industries that used asbestos have likely had exposure to the fibers. The symptoms of illnesses that asbestos exposure causes can take between 15 and 30 years or more to develop. Unfortunately, someone may not realize they have been exposed to asbestos until many years later when the disease has progressed.
If you are experiencing respiratory symptoms and are concerned about potential exposure in the past, there are symptoms to look for. You should also schedule an appointment with a doctor.
Symptoms of Asbestos-Related Diseases:
- Trouble breathing (shortness of breath, wheezing, coughing)
- A persistent cough that does not respond to treatment and will not clear up.
- Blood when you cough
- Chest pain
- Swelling of the neck or face that results in trouble swallowing
- Fatigue, weight loss, and appetite loss
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, you may be suffering from one of the three most common asbestos-related diseases. You may also want to seek legal counsel as soon as you can. If you win financial compensation, this will ensure you are not left shouldering these illnesses’ financial costs and consequences.
Common Asbestos-Related Illnesses:
- Asbestosis: Scarring of the lungs due to inhalation. Generally, this occurs only in those who have had repeated and prolonged asbestos exposure. With this illness, breathing becomes difficult as asbestos fibers seep into the lining of the lungs.
- Lung cancer: One of the deadliest forms of cancer, asbestos exposure is a leading cause of lung cancer among smokers and nonsmokers alike. Symptoms include pain, tightness, coughing, and more.
- Mesothelioma: Rare and life-threatening, mesothelioma is almost always directly associated with asbestos exposure.
If you have been diagnosed with any of these illnesses, asbestos exposure could be the cause. A Champaign asbestos lawyer can review the details of your diagnosis, review your work history and cultural factors, compile all necessary documentation to build an effective case, and litigate for you and your family if need be. Give Pintas & Mullins Law Firm a call today to schedule a free consultation. We can help you review your legal options and the next steps.
For a free legal consultation with a Champaign Lawyer serving Champaign, call (800) 794-0444
Legal Rights for Victims
If you have been diagnosed with cancer or mesothelioma and can prove your illness is the direct result of asbestos exposure, you could seek financial compensation for:
- Medical expenses: Doctor visits, emergency room visits, rehabilitation services, medication costs, etc.
- Pain and suffering: Treatment for depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD,) and other mental health disorders.
- Funeral and burial costs: Funeral costs, burial fees, loss of companionship, and more.
- Lost wages: Past, current, and future lost wages or reduced earning capacities.
Under Illinois law, sufferers have two years from either the date of exposure or the date of discovering an illness. Due to these lawsuits’ complexity, hiring a Champaign asbestos lawyer could help ensure that you correctly filled out your claim. A lawyer can also review it to ensure it makes a strong legal case and is ready for court litigation if needed.
Our team will review your case, speak to all parties involved in the matter, initiate an investigation into past workplaces, file your lawsuit, and represent you in court, if necessary.
You owe it to yourself to make sure you are not sinking under the weight of an illness you did not cause. Fighting for your rights, securing fair compensation, and healing are the pathways to physical and emotional recovery.
Pintas & Mullins Law Firm is eager to work with you to stand up for yourself, fight for your rights, and secure the compensation you deserve. Call us today at (800) 217-6099 to schedule a free consultation.
A Champaign asbestos lawyer can review your case and advise you of further steps you could take. We do not collect any upfront fees unless we win a settlement for you, and we do not shy away from tough cases. Call today.