A chest X-ray is one of the tools that a doctor may rely on to show mesothelioma. Along with other scans, biopsies, and blood work, a medical professional can say for certain whether you or a loved one have the form of lung cancer known as mesothelioma.
If you or a loved one received a diagnosis of mesothelioma from a chest X-ray or other method, know that you were likely exposed to asbestos.
Asbestos Is A Dangerous Mineral Used in Building Materials
Asbestos is a naturally occurring, fibrous mineral found in rock and soil. It is naturally resistant to both fire and corrosion, and for these reasons it has been a preferred material of builders who want a low-cost material that is a barrier to both fire and corrosion.
Due to its heat resistance, asbestos is often present in insulation. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), some of the places that you may find asbestos in a home include:
- In heat-resistant fabrics
- In insulation in walls, attics, and around heat-emitting appliances such as stoves and furnaces
- In some vinyl materials such as laminate flooring
- Around pipes, especially those that contain hot water or steam
- In certain types of roofing and shingles
- In certain types of textured paint
Though these areas may be hotspots for asbestos, anybody who lives or spends significant time in a building with improperly installed asbestos could be in danger.
Risk Factors for Asbestos Exposure
Asbestos fibers are harmful to the lungs, as they create scarring that can eventually turn lung cells cancerous. Asbestos fibers may be released into the air in large quantities when fibrous asbestos such as insulation is torn or ripped. This puts certain populations at a greater risk of being exposed to asbestos. Some of these groups include:
- Construction workers
- Demolition crews
- Pipe fitters
- Anybody whose job requires them to spend time around insulation, such as pest control professionals or air conditioning repair people
- Automobile assemblers, as some car parts may contain asbestos
Anybody who spends significant time in a structure where asbestos is not properly installed could be at risk of developing mesothelioma or another asbestos-induced health condition.
Know Your Options If A Chest X-Ray Shows Mesothelioma
If you or a loved one is diagnosed with mesothelioma from a chest x-ray or similar procedure, then it is likely that you were exposed to asbestos without your knowledge. You may be going through the possible points in time where you were exposed to asbestos. Consider some of the common types of defendant in asbestos exposure cases. They include:
- Construction companies
- Building managers
The defendant in your case may be someone other than those listed here. Anybody who had a responsibility to conduct tests for asbestos and warn you of any present asbestos could be liable for your mesothelioma.
A Lawyer Can Help with Your Asbestos Exposure Case
A lawyer can help ensure that you or your loved one do not suffer any further harm that you are not responsible for. If you have developed mesothelioma and did not willingly live, work, or spend time in a building where asbestos was present, then someone else is likely responsible for your condition.
A lawyer can help you by:
- Helping you pinpoint the liable party in your case, whether it is an employer, landlord, or somebody else
- Interviewing you to document your firsthand account for use at trial or in settlement negotiations
- Initiating legal action straight away so that your case falls within any relevant statutes of limitation
- If possible, interviewing the defendant in your case to see if they will admit to failing to conduct proper testing or failing to alert you to any asbestos risk that they were aware of
- Interviewing any witnesses that can attest to the presence of asbestos in a location where exposure may have occurred
- Handling all legal responsibilities necessary to complete a judgment or settlement
- Protecting your rights throughout the legal process
If your case is successful, you could be entitled to financial awards covering your losses
Possible Financial Awards in An Asbestos Exposure Case
If the defendant in your case is found liable for your mesothelioma, you could be awarded damages covering:
- The cost of any procedures required to diagnose your cancer
- The cost of care required to treat your cancer
- Any home care required because of your cancer
- Long-term mental and psychological rehabilitation required because of your cancer
- Lost wages or diminished earning capacity incurred because of your mesothelioma
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages against the defendant
You may be entitled to additional retroactive and future compensation depending on the circumstances of your case.
For a free legal consultation, call (800) 217-6099
Call Our Legal Team Today
If you were exposed to asbestos, and a chest X-ray shows mesothelioma, our team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm wants to help you pursue the compensation you are entitled to. Call us today at (800) 307-3113 for a free consultation. Our clients pay nothing out of pocket, nothing upfront, and we only collect a fee if we secure a judgment or settlement.
Call or text (800) 217-6099 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form