Motor-vehicle accidents injure several thousands of people each year. In severe cases, accidents can prove fatal. Accidents involving large trucks are particularly damaging and deadly due to the size of these vehicles. If you or someone you love was injured or tragically killed in an accident involving a semi-truck, you may qualify for financial compensation. An accident lawyer may help you determine your options if you are considering taking legal action.
Our Skokie semi-truck accident lawyers handle cases like these. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 794-0444 for a free consultation.
Causes of Accidents Involving Semi-Trucks
Semi-trucks transport products like fuel to gas stations or groceries to stores. Semi-trucks often exceed 26,000 pounds and have a tractor unit towing cargo trailers. Semi-trucks require drivers with special training and licenses. Strict federal guidelines and state regulations dictate who can operate these vehicles.
Even with rules and special training in place, semi-truck accidents still occur. Recent data on large truck crashes, gathered by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration show that these trucks continue to cause considerable damage when involved in accidents with passenger cars.
Understanding the causes of accidents may help keep you recognize dangerous driving and keep you safe. Some mistakes that drivers make that factor into semi-truck accidents include:
- Hazardous road conditions including impaired roadways or bad weather
- Vehicle malfunction such as brake failure
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Texting, using a cell phone, and other forms of distracted driving
- Falling asleep at the wheel and general driver fatigue
- Poor driver training or vehicle operation
- Improper cargo loading which can lead to vehicle imbalance and control difficulties
If you believe your semi-truck accident resulted from negligence and you are considering taking legal action, a Skokie semi-truck accident lawyer may help you understand your options.
If you or someone in your life suffered in a semi-truck accident, you understand the devastating ways it can affect your life. You may take precautions to prevent this from happening again or to others on the road. Preventing accidents begins with every driver on the road choosing to do their part. While you cannot control what other motorists do, you can choose to follow safe driving guidelines and maximize your chance of a safe trip.
- Do not drive if you are tired.
- Never drive under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or other substances that cause mental impairment.
- Only drive in hazardous conditions if you absolutely must.
- Have a technician check your vehicle regularly to make sure everything functions properly.
- Always obey the speed limit, traffic signs, and all driving laws.
- Put away your cell phone or other distracting devices that can take your attention away from the road.
- Make sure that you and all of your passengers use your seat belts properly.
- Keep a safe distance between your vehicle and others on the road.
- Do not suddenly change direction or lanes.
Remember these safe driving tips next time you hit the road. Your life and the safety of loved ones may depend on it.
For a free legal consultation with a semi-truck accidents lawyer serving Skokie, call (800) 794-0444
Potentially Recoverable Compensation
If you or a loved one experienced an accident involving a semi-truck, you may have experienced property damage, a loss of personal vehicle, injury, or even death. Injuries from accidents can linger for a long time. They can affect your ability to work and earn wages. Some injuries may not even display obvious symptoms until much later after the accident, and you should not have to suffer any further harm as a result of someone else’s negligence on the road.
Sometimes victims of semi-truck accidents can file a legal claim and receive compensation for a third party’s negligence. You may qualify for medical bill reimbursement, lost wages, punitive damages, pain and suffering, and more. If you have questions about your situation, a Skokie semi-truck accident lawyer may help you understand the process if you qualify for compensation.
Accidents can completely change your life. You can lose your vehicle, personal property, or even your ability to work and earn wages. You may also experience injuries that create the burden of medical expenses and can take a long time to recover from. In tragic cases, semi-truck accidents can even be fatal. If you or a loved one endured an accident with a semi-truck due to a third party’s negligence, you have the right to legal representation. A Skokie semi-truck accident lawyer with Pintas & Mullins Law Firm may help you with your potential case.
A statute of limitations applies to personal injury cases, so call us as soon as possible. Do not let your chance to hold a negligent semi-truck driver, company, or another third party accountable for your losses. If you choose to wait and the deadline for filing a lawsuit passes, you may lose your right to take legal action against another party.
If you are exploring your legal options, you can call (800) 794-0444 for a free consultation.