Semi-tractor trailers, sometimes referred to as “big rigs,” are an essential part of our transportation system. You have probably come across a big rig on the road, carrying goods or cargo from one location to another. These massive machines usually have 18 wheels and can weigh more than 50,000 pounds, depending on the load. Vehicles of this size are dangerous and subject to federal size regulations for commercial motor vehicles. When collisions occur, big rig accidents can have devastating effects.
If you were involved in an accident with a big rig and experienced property loss or suffered an injury, you could be able to file a claim against the responsible parties. You can contact the team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm to learn how a Los Angeles big rig lawyer may be able to help you to secure compensation. Call (800) 794-0444 today to discuss your case with a team member during a free consultation.
Frequent Causes of Big Rig Accidents
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s Large Truck and Bus Crash Facts, there were over 4,500 fatal accidents in 2017 involving large trucks—defined as a truck weighing over 10,000 pounds. This does not account for the thousands of other large vehicle accidents that are serious but not fatal.
Big rigs are large, heavy trucks, certainly capable of causing severe forms of damage, and it is easy to recognize the scope of this problem. Understanding the causes of truck accidents can help you recognize danger and prevent future accidents. It may also be beneficial in determining whether a third party could be at fault for your accident. Some common factors contributing to truck accidents include:
- Bad weather: Snow, sleet, ice, rain, wind, and fog can be dangerous for all drivers on the road, including big rig drivers.
- Impaired driving: Driving under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or other substances that can impair the ability to safely operate a vehicle is extremely dangerous and illegal. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, over 10,000 Americans died in 2016 in impaired driving incidents like alcohol-related accidents, and unfortunately, big rig accidents are sometimes due to impaired driving.
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is classified as any type of behavior that takes the attention of a driver away from the road. With the invention of cell phones and other forms of technology, distracted driving is more dangerous than ever and can lead to costly accidents.
- Speeding: Speeding is consistently one of the leading causes of traffic accidents in the United States. Speed limit signs exist for a reason—to keep everyone on the road safe. Obeying the speed limit helps give drivers adequate time to brake, make turns effectively, and react to hazards and other vehicles on the road. Speed limits can vary for large vehicles like big rigs, which often need more time to brake or react due to the momentum and weight of these vehicles.
- Mechanical failure: Every vehicle on the road should be properly maintained and regularly checked by a professional mechanic. State and federal rules regulate the maintenance of big rigs and other large trucks. Even if a truck is deemed to be in working order, mechanical failure can still occur. This could lead to brake failure, inadequate lighting and visibility, and a plethora of other issues. The vehicle may not perform properly and can threaten the safety of the big rig driver and surrounding vehicles.
A Los Angeles big rig lawyer can investigate the cause of your accident and help you weigh your legal options once a determination is made.
Common Losses Suffered in Accidents
Vehicle accidents can affect your life in many negative ways. You could be suffering physically, emotionally, financially, and in several other ways. If you are lucky, the effects will be minor, and you can make a full recovery. Sadly, this is not always the case.
Some victims of big rig accidents suffer from property and financial loss, injuries, and death. Certain injuries can require ongoing therapy, expensive prescriptions, and inconvenient doctor visits. You could be accumulating a mountain of debt. If your accident may have been directly or partially caused by a third party, you may be able to take legal action against those responsible. Sometimes, compensation is available for victims. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today to discuss with a team member whether this is possible in your case.
For a free legal consultation with a big rig accidents lawyer serving Los Angeles, call (800) 794-0444
Potential Compensation for Big Rig Accident Victims
Some victims of big rig accidents have been able to recover compensation in various forms with the help of a Los Angeles big rig lawyer. This includes possible reimbursement for doctor visits, prescription medications, ongoing therapy, and other medical expenses related directly to your accident. You could be awarded damages for your pain and suffering, as well as the emotional stress that accidents can cause. You could also receive compensation for personal property loss, including vehicle damage and repair bills.
Sometimes, legal fees are reimbursed by responsible parties as directed by a court. In other cases, punitive damages are assessed to punish a responsible party for wrongdoing, in an attempt to prevent the recurrence of a similar accident.
Los Angeles Big Rig Accidents Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
If you or a loved one was the victim of a big rig accident, your life may never be the same again. While you are working to recover, it can be overwhelming to consider the hassle of filing a legal claim. The team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can help simplify the confusing legal process by discussing your case and determining if you could be eligible for compensation. For a free, no-obligation consultation, pick up the phone today and call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 794-0444.