If you or a loved one experienced an injury, property damage, or death in an 18-wheeler accident, you could be eligible for financial compensation. Accidents involving the massive trucks known as 18-wheelers can be devastating to your life. Whether driver error, a mechanical issue, distracted driving, or another factor caused your accident, speaking with a Los Angeles 18-wheeler lawyer might help you determine if your case is worth pursuing.
A team member at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can answer your questions and discuss your case in detail during a free, no-obligation consultation. Call (800) 794-0444 today to get started.
Why 18-Wheelers Are Dangerous
Eighteen-wheelers are dangerous for many reasons. While every vehicle accident can result in injuries and damage, accidents involving 18-wheelers tend to be severe. One reason is the size and weight of large trucks. This combination creates a tremendous amount of force that regular vehicles rarely encounter in an accident.
Another reason 18-wheelers are dangerous is due to the cargo they may be carrying. Large trucks sometimes carry heavy equipment, flammable liquids, hazardous materials, or even other vehicles. When an 18-wheeler is in an accident, the cargo can come loose and endanger nearby vehicles.
Thousands of accidents involving large vehicles, like 18-wheelers, occur every year. In 2017 alone, data collected from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration attributed 4,889 traffic fatalities directly to accidents involving large trucks and buses. This same federal administration also reported that 31% of vehicle accident fatalities in work zones involve large vehicles.
While 18-wheelers are a very important and useful mode for transporting large or bulk goods, it is easy to see how dangerous they can be. Learning more about the causes of large vehicle accidents can help keep you safe.
Causes of Large Vehicle Accidents
Even if you take every possible precaution while driving, accidents can still happen. You cannot control other vehicles on the road or external factors like weather conditions. Some common causes of 18-wheeler accidents include:
- Weather: If you can avoid driving in poor weather conditions, doing so can prevent accidents. No one can predict the weather perfectly, and sudden or severe sleet, ice, snow, rain, fog, and wind can contribute to accidents. These conditions tend to be particularly difficult for large difficult-to-maneuver vehicles like 18-wheelers.
- Driving error: Vehicles are operated by humans, and humans make mistakes. Regardless of how experienced an 18-wheeler driver is, errors still happen, and they can lead to devastating consequences.
- Inadequate training: Drivers of large or commercial vehicles, like 18-wheelers, in Los Angeles are required by the California Department of Motor Vehicles to carry special licenses and undergo training. If driver preparation is inadequate in quality, or if a driver is not experienced enough to operate an 18-wheeler under certain conditions, this can lead to an accident.
- Driving under the influence: If you consumed any alcohol, prescription medication, or illicit substance that affects judgment, stay off the road. This same rule applies for drivers of 18-wheelers. Driving under the influence of any substance is illegal and extremely dangerous for everyone on the road.
- Failure to obey traffic laws: Speeding, failing to stop at a stop sign or red light, illegal turns and lane shifts, and other traffic infractions lead to many injuries and deaths annually. Sometimes, specific laws are put in place for large vehicles like 18-wheelers, as they require more time to brake and a wider turning radius. Traffic laws exist to keep you and others safe; obeying them is the safe, legal, and responsible thing to do.
There are many other reasons 18-wheeler accidents and other large vehicle accidents happen. If you were the victim of an accident that was caused by another party, you could suffer injuries and be left with medical bills, lost wages, repair bills, and other damages. There could be legal action available to help you seek justice and recover compensation. You may find it helpful to consult with a Los Angeles 18-wheeler lawyer. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today for a free no-obligation discussion with a member of our team.
For a free legal consultation with an 18-Wheeler Accidents Lawyer serving Los Angeles, call (800) 794-0444
Effects of Accidents on Victims
An 18-wheeler accident can leave you with physical, emotional, and financial problems. You could be injured and seeking medical treatment that is expensive and seems to never end. You could lose your ability to get to work and earn wages or be dealing with the stress and anxiety resulting from the trauma of an accident. In serious accidents, loss of life could occur, impacting you or your loved ones. All these stressful situations can amount to financial problems as well.
During this challenging time, it might be hard to consider filing a legal claim and adding another task to your life. However, some victims of 18-wheeler accidents are able to ease their financial burden by recovering compensation from the responsible parties. It could be beneficial to contact a Los Angeles 18-wheeler lawyer to discuss your situation in detail.
Los Angeles 18-Wheeler Accidents Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Potentially Recoverable Compensation
Every case is different, but some victims of 18-wheeler accidents recover compensation in the form of:
- Reimbursement for medical expenses, both past and future
- Reimbursement for inability to work or lost wages
- Reimbursement for legal fees
- Compensation for emotional pain and suffering
- Reimbursement for lost property and vehicle damages
- Punitive damages
In most jurisdictions, victims of 18-wheeler accidents have a limited amount of time to act due to the statute of limitations. If you are considering taking legal action, you may want to act today.
Click to contact our 18-Wheeler Accidents Lawyers today
Understanding Your Legal Options
The legal system can be complicated, stressful, and confusing. Speaking with legal professionals can help you understand the options available to you and your loved ones during this difficult time. Every case is unique, and the team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can answer any questions you have based on your specific case. In some cases, compensation is available for victims. Call (800) 794-0444 today to speak with a team member and begin your journey toward justice.