The at-fault driver may be principally responsible for accidents where damages total over $500, according to the California Department of Insurance. Often their insurance may serve as coverage for their losses. When somebody does not have insurance, you may have to pursue the compensation you may be entitled to through a civil lawsuit.
If you or your loved one suffered an injury in an accident involving an uninsured motorcyclist in Los Angeles, California, a Los Angeles uninsured motorcycle accident lawyer may be able to help you seek compensation you may be entitled to. Call the team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 794-0444 for a free consultation.
Motorcyclists may be Prone to High-Risk Behaviors
Riding a motorcycle is generally considered a high-risk behavior, as motorcyclists account for a disproportionately high number of deaths and injuries per-crash compared to passenger vehicles according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
It may be possible that a motorcyclist is prone to engage in risky behaviors such as:
- Riding their motorcycle despite lacking active insurance.
- Engaging in behaviors that could result in an accident.
Having insurance is not a suggestion in California, it is a legal requirement. According to the State of California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), drivers must have:
- $15,000 worth of coverage in case of one person being injured or killed
- $30,000 worth of coverage in case of two or more people being injured or killed
- $5,000 in coverage for property damage
These are mandatory minimums for coverage, and a motorcyclist who chooses not to abide by them may:
- Put themself at risk of great liability in the case that they cause an injury or death while riding their motorcycle
- Put themself at risk of criminal penalties
- Put others at risk of not receiving the coverage they may be entitled to if the motorcyclist leads to them becoming injured
- Increase the odds that a lawsuit may be necessary if they cause an accident
If you or a loved one were personally affected by the negligence of an uninsured motorcyclist, a lawsuit may be your clearest path to compensation.
A Motorcyclist may Have Caused Your Injuries
A court case from March 2020 reported by the Associated Press (AP News) shows how bikers may cause significant harm through negligent actions. In this case, a drunk motorcyclist hit a truck, resulting in an accident that killed seven motorcyclists.
According to the NHTSA, 27 percent of fatal motorcycle crashes in 2017 involved a drunk rider. If a drunk motorcyclist caused your accident, it may increase the seriousness with which the court views the motorcyclists’ negligent actions.
In addition to being drunk or under the influence of drugs, a motorcyclist may be considered negligent by:
- Weaving in between vehicles in an unsafe manner
- Driving too close to the rear or sides of other vehicles
- Failing to yield to road signs and traffic lights
- Failing to yield to oncoming traffic
A lawyer may be able to analyze the circumstances of your accident and injuries to determine how a motorcyclist may have been negligent, which may include a lack of active insurance. Call our team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm to find out more about how a Los Angeles uninsured motorcycle accident lawyer may be able to assist you.
For a free legal consultation with a uninsured motorcycle accidents lawyer serving Los Angeles, call (800) 794-0444
A Lawsuit may be Necessary to Obtain Compensation
A motorcyclist who causes an accident without having active insurance leaves little choice when it comes time to pay for your losses. Since they do not have the option of providing insurance coverage for the damages, a lawsuit may be necessary.
A lawyer may guide you through the process of bringing a lawsuit against an uninsured motorcyclist. They may also:
- Research the laws that may be relevant to an accident where an uninsured motorcyclist causes physical injury
- Consult experts in relevant fields to either inform them of relevant issues or provide testimony
- Dispatch private investigators to glean all available evidence pertaining to your accident and injuries
- Draft and help file your lawsuit
- Handle the legal paperwork, correspondence, and appearances necessary as you seek the completion of your lawsuit
- Represent you in settlement negotiations or at trial, depending on the path that your lawsuit follows
- Defend your rights
- Help you with the collection of any awards that you may receive
Depending on the nature of your injuries and the effects that your injuries have on your life, you may be entitled to compensation for:
- Time that you miss from work because of your injury
- Medical costs related to the accident
- The cost of property damage because of the accident
- Pain and suffering from the accident, including mental anguish caused by your injuries
You may also be able to collect compensation for additional losses.
Los Angeles Uninsured Motorcycle Accidents Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Call Our Team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm
We do not shy away from tough cases, especially if a lawsuit is your only recourse for obtaining compensation you may be entitled to after an uninsured motorcycle causes injuries to you or a loved one.
Call the team from Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 794-0444 to find out more about the services a Los Angeles uninsured motorcycle accident lawyer may be able to provide through a free initial consultation. We work on a contingency-fee basis so not wait to call, as time could be a factor in your ability to bring forth a lawsuit.