Being outside with your dog and enjoying one of Los Angeles County’s parks is one of the joys of the nice summer weather. One of the popular places for dogs to run with their owners freely is Chatsworth Park North. However, dogs get excited when they are around each other. In those overly excitable moments, you might happen to get in the way and get bitten in the process.
A dog bite could result in severe injuries such as bleeding from a deep gash, or the dog may have an illness that can cause an adverse reaction in your own body. After you heal from the dog bite, you might experience fear of visiting a park or being around dogs.
Finally, you might have questions of responsibility and accountability around the bite. Who is responsible for the bite? The dog owner? Were you responsible for your safety in a dog park? There are laws regarding public dog bites that might pertain to your situation.
If you or a loved one suffered injuries because of a dog bite, it is within your rights to contact a Los Angeles Chatsworth Park North dog bite lawyer to help you determine how to file a personal injury claim. Contact Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 816-0755 to discuss your dog bite injury with a team member and explore what legal options you have.
Dog Bites in California
When it comes to dog bite injury claims, California has well-defined liability laws that favor the person who got bitten. You can find the details of California dog bite law in CIV § 3342, which says that the dog owner is responsible for any damages or injuries caused by bites from their dog in a public place or on private property where the victim was lawfully. All this hinges on the presumption that the injured person did not provoke the dog bite.
Other statutes require a dog owner to take reasonable steps to protect other people if their animal has a history of biting (CIV § 3342.5) and to provide dog bite victims with their contact information, license information for the animal, and vaccination records within 48 hours of the attack (PEN § 398).
Personal Injuries from Dog Bites
Personal injuries caused by dog bites are on the rise. California had the highest recorded number of dog bite claims in 2018 in the entire country, with 409 claims and more than $18 million paid out.
A person can choose to handle these dog bite episodes through an insurance claim filed against the dog owner or a personal injury lawsuit.
If you suffered injuries because of a dog bite and would like to seek legal help in the aftermath, it might be time to reach out to a Los Angeles Chatsworth Park North dog bite lawyer. You can get information on how the laws in California pertain to dog bites, who is responsible for your injuries, and if you have any legal recourse against the dog owner. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today to discuss your case with a team member.
For a free legal consultation with an chatsworth park north lawyer serving Los Angeles, call (800) 794-0444
Finding Evidence to Support Your Claim
One of the first areas of inquiry our firm will conduct with you is to assess your case. We will ask you questions and seek out evidence and corroborating witness testimony that supports your claim.
In the case of a bite from a dog at Chatsworth Park North or any Los Angeles park, the type of evidence we will look to procure includes:
- Witness statements: We can speak with any witnesses to the attack and use their statements in court to support your claim of a dog bite in a public setting. Having a witness verify the incident is important, especially if the dog owner denies the attack or alleges that you provoked their pet.
- Audio or video: If you recorded the attack, that evidence could prove powerful in a court of law. If you have pictures of the scene, the dog and its owner, and the injuries you suffered in the attack, we can use them to bolster your case.
- Police reports: If law enforcement came to the park to deal with your injuries, they would file a report of the incident. We can use that report to support your claim.
- Corroborating stories of past behavior: If you learn that the dog has menaced its neighborhood in recent months or years or bitten other people, that information can help support your claim that much more.
- Medical records: Whether an ambulance transported you to the emergency room, or you visited your family doctor a couple of days after the attack, they will document the injuries you suffered and offer a prognosis for how you will heal.
Our personal injury lawyers can use this information to fight for compensation for your medical expenses, lost income from work missed while healing from the attack, pain and suffering, and other damages. You might want to act quickly, as CCP § 335.1 sets a two-year deadline for filing a personal injury case.
Los Angeles Chatsworth Park North Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
How a Lawyer Can Help You
Dangerous bites from intimidating dogs can cause personal injuries that cause issues that linger for months. If you suffered dog bite injuries and need legal representation, you can get in touch with a Los Angeles Chatsworth Park North dog bite lawyer to work with you on filing a claim against the responsible party. You can call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 816-0755 to reach our legal team, review your situation for free, and figure out your next steps to seek financial awards for your injuries.