A dog bite or dog attack can cause long-term and often unexpected complications. Even after victims recover from the physical injuries that aggressive dogs cause, they may experience emotional trauma for years to come.
If you or someone you love is suffering because of a dog that bit you in Alizondo Drive Park, a Los Angeles Alizondo Drive Park dog bite lawyer can help you pursue compensation for your injuries.
The team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm has worked with many clients like you and are proud of the results we have achieved in those cases. We also never ask our clients to pay out-of-pocket for our help. They get immediate access to our network of resources and extensive knowledge with dog bite cases, at no cost to themselves. We receive our payment only if we succeed with your case.
For a free review of your case, contact Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today at (800) 816-0755.
Injuries Victims Suffer in Dog Attacks
Some common types of injuries that victims suffer in dog attacks or as a result of dog bites are:
- Lacerations and puncture wounds: these injuries can cause skin tearing, severe bleeding, and potentially damage the underlying muscles and organs.
- Traumatic brain injuries: if the dog knocks the victim down, and they hit their head on pavement or an object, they may suffer a traumatic brain injury (TBI) or another type of head injury. These injuries can impair the victim’s thinking and even change their personality, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Disease and infection: Sometimes, it is not the physical damage caused by a bite that causes problems for the victim, but complications that follow because of infection and disease. A doctor may suggest that a patient get a tetanus shot if they have not had one in the last five years in order to reduce the risk of tetanus. Other possible infections and diseases from dog bites include Capnocytophaga and Rabies, as explained here by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH).
- Post-traumatic stress disorder: Often, the scars that follow dog attacks are not visible. Sometimes they come in the form of emotional trauma that can impact victims for years. According to a study reported by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), nearly half of the children in the study developed signs of PTSD in two to nine months following a dog bite or dog attack.
Laws You Need To Know
You should know two laws that immediately impact dog bite injuries occurring in Los Angeles: California’s statute of limitations and its dog bite liability statute, California Civil Code § 3342.
Statute of Limitations
Every state places a limit on the length of time you have to pursue compensation after a personal injury accident. Under the California Code of Civil Procedure § 335.1, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is two years. You have two years from the date of the injury to pursue compensation or the courts will typically bar you from recovering any amount of compensation.
Dog Bite Liability Statute
California has a strict liability statute for dog bites. According to California Civil Code § 3342, dog owners are automatically liable for the damage their dog causes as long as the person was injured in public or while they were lawfully on private property and as long as they did not provoke the animal.
Because Alizondo Drive Park is a public park, you should have no problem meeting the first requirement. You may need to provide evidence like eyewitness statements that verify you were not teasing, taunting, or otherwise provoking the animal. A Los Angeles Alizondo Drive Park dog bite lawyer can help you with this process by gathering information, filing your claim, and negotiating with the defendant’s lawyer on your behalf. To find out what your options are for recovering compensation, contact Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today.
For a free legal consultation with a Alizondo Drive Park Lawyer serving Los Angeles, call (800) 816-0755
Recoverable Awards After a Dog Bite Injury
There are a number of awards that you might recover after a dog bite injury claim. However, the types of recoverable awards depend on the details of your case, such as the extent of your injuries and financial losses. Some common types of awards that victims recover in cases like these include:
- Pain and suffering
- Doctor’s examinations
- Surgical procedures
- Lost wages
- Future wages, if your earning potential is diminished or lost
If the injuries your loved one suffered in the dog attack were so severe that they did not survive, you have the right to pursue a wrongful death claim. Some of the types of awards families recover in wrongful death lawsuits include:
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of support and protection
- Pain and suffering
- Wages and benefits the deceased provided
- Out-of-pocket costs related to the care of the deceased before death
Los Angeles Alizondo Drive Park Lawyer Near Me (800) 816-0755
The Team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm Is Here for You
A Los Angeles Alizondo Drive Park dog bite lawyer has worked on many cases like yours and understands the evidence they need to gather and also how to present cases like these to insurance companies or defense attorneys.
The team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm has a wide network of experts we can reach out to if we need their professional testimony to verify the extent of your injuries and the impact it will have on your future.
We take the burden off your shoulders and negotiate with the defendant’s lawyer or the insurance company, pursuing a fair settlement for your injuries. For a free, no-risk review of your case and to find out what options you have for pursuing compensation, call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today at (800) 816-0755.