Whiplash is a medical condition where the muscles and tendons in your neck are strained. It often happens in car accidents when your neck muscles try to keep your head from hitting anything—for example, the steering wheel or the side of the car. Whiplash is painful and should receive medical treatment to prevent any lasting effects.
Many people end up with whiplash because of low speed rear-end accidents. The impact is not hard enough to trigger the airbag but is sufficient to cause significant trauma to the neck muscles. Whiplash usually takes a few days to become fully apparent, and medical treatments can be expensive. Fortunately, you may have legal recourse to address your medical bills.
If you or a loved one has been in an accident that resulted in either of you suffering whiplash, you might want to contact a Los Angeles whiplash accident lawyer to explore your legal options. You can call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 794-0444 and speak to our legal team. We can analyze your case, give you feedback, and if you decide to work with us, begin the process of filing a lawsuit against the responsible party.
Types of Whiplash Accidents
Whiplash can happen in any automobile accident, even a “minor” or low-speed collision. The types of whiplash accidents include:
- Rear-end collision: A rear-end collision is likely to cause whiplash due to the sudden jerking motion caused by the impact, which the Mayo Clinic likens to “the cracking of a whip.”
- Backing-up collision: Collisions can occur when you back out of a parking space. A car can pass behind you without being seen, leading to an accident when you back up.
- Sideswipe collisions: Sideswipe collisions happen when one car strikes the side of another vehicle. It often happens when changing lanes.
- Multicar accidents: Multicar accidents can involve multiple collisions, which can cause your head to move in multiple directions. You could easily develop whiplash as a result.
Other types of accidents not covered on this list can also cause whiplash. Whiplash can be a serious injury if not medically treated. Seek medical attention if you are in an accident to ensure that you get the help that you need.
Severity of Injuries
Whiplash is generally not considered a severe injury as it can heal on its own over time. However, it is an injury that should have medical treatment and can be painful to endure. The treatment process that the Mayo Clinic outlines generally involves pain management, exercise, physical therapy, and limited use of neck braces. No matter what treatment plan your doctor provides you, the medical costs associated with treating whiplash can be expensive.
For a free legal consultation with a whiplash accidents lawyer serving Los Angeles, call (800) 794-0444
Understanding Your Rights
Being in an accident that is not your fault can be stressful due to injuries and property damage. However, you do have certain rights that can help ease your anxiety. You have the right to sue the responsible driver for compensation, which could help you with any expenses that you incur because of the accident. This process may lead you to consult a lawyer, as you may need to file a lawsuit to collect that compensation.
Reasons to Hire a Lawyer
If you are in a whiplash accident, you might find a lawyer to be helpful as you seek compensation. There are several situations where hiring a Los Angeles whiplash accident lawyer might make sense, including:
- Settlement negotiations: A lawyer can handle settlement negotiations, as they have experience in negotiating.
- Denied claim: If the insurance company denies your claim, a lawyer can refile and negotiate with the insurance company to resolve the issue.
- Financial expenses: If you have high financial expenses, then a lawyer can try to recover compensation for damages and other expenses.
- Medical expenses: Lawyers can also potentially recover compensation for medical costs associated with your accident. This situation will involve the lawyer collecting documents from medical care providers.
- Uncooperative driver: When the other driver is uncooperative resolving issues, a lawyer can be an effective mediator and address the problem while you focus on other issues.
- Uninsured driver: Dealing with an uninsured driver can be problematic since there is no insurance company to file a claim with. Your lawyer can file a lawsuit to recover expenses.
If you have a legal question about your case, you can contact Pintas & Mullins Law Firm to discuss your situation with a team member. The initial consultation is free, and you are under no obligation to hire us.
Los Angeles Whiplash Accidents Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Managing whiplash can be easy with basic neck injury care. You may have to wear a neck brace for a short time while your neck muscles heal. Once the neck brace is no longer needed, some people with whiplash participate in physical therapy or exercise regimens that can strengthen the muscles, so you regain your flexibility and strength. You might also take pain medication to manage the discomfort of having whiplash.
Auto Insurance Settlements
Some accidents that result in whiplash tend to be less severe, and insurance can usually cover the damage to the vehicles. However, the medical expenses are another story. Severe whiplash can lead to chronic neck pain, which is uncomfortable and may require ongoing treatment.
Insurance companies will likely offer you a settlement. Before you accept it, you might want to have a Los Angeles whiplash accident lawyer review it. If you have chronic neck pain or other ongoing problems, you may need continuing medical care. Initial settlements might not offer enough to cover that care. A lawyer may be able to negotiate with the insurance company so that you can receive enough compensation to cover your medical bills and other damages.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call to Schedule a Free Consultation with a Los Angeles Whiplash Accident Lawyer
If you are in an accident and develop whiplash, you can get help dealing with the medical and personal property expenses. Collecting compensation from the driver who caused the accident can provide some support for your new financial obligations. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 794-0444 to talk to our legal team. We can help you prepare and file your whiplash accident case and fight for the compensation you deserve.