Severe storms often include high winds that leave car owners with property damage. High winds can occur even without a tornado or hurricane.
If you suffered property losses due to high winds, our team might be able to help you negotiate with your insurance company to reach a fair settlement. Contact a team member at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm by calling (800) 794-0444 and learn how a Los Angeles high winds lawyer might be able to help you with your case.
Steps to Take Following High Wind Damage
Settling insurance claims after a disaster can be a complicated process. If high winds from a severe storm damaged your car, make sure to follow these steps to ensure that you protect your legal right to a claim for compensation.
Examine Your Property
Your first step after the high winds and the damaging storm subsides should be to immediately check your car and note any damage to the exterior. Any damage to the exterior can result in interior damage as well.
Safely examine all areas that you can reach, including the roof, doors, windshield, and windows. If it is possible to have a professional inspect your car for damage, you should do so as soon as possible. Additionally, take pictures of all the property damage from several different angles.
Examine Your Car Insurance Policy
Make sure to immediately find your car insurance policy and determine where it addresses reimbursement for wind damage. Carefully reading your car insurance policy before visiting with an insurance company will better prepare you with knowledge regarding your policy’s coverage.
Contact Your Insurance Company
Contact your insurance company with your car policy and detailed inventory of damage readily available. If you have any questions regarding your coverage for high wind damage, make sure to ask the question and write down the answer, so you do not forget later.
You should request information regarding:
- How to file a claim.
- What amount of coverage your policy provides.
- Your deductible.
- What evidence you need to submit.
- Whether you can hire your own repair company.
- How long it will take to resolve your claim.
Make sure that an insurance adjuster does not need to see the car before making any temporary repairs. Finally, make sure to save all receipts and documentation regarding any purchases or repairs you make to the car as a result of high wind damage.
Insurance Company Adjuster
In many cases, the insurance company will send out an adjuster to examine your car in person and assess the damage to determine the amount of compensation for your claim. Make sure to follow these steps as an insurance company adjuster walks through your property to assess the damage:
- Provide a checklist of everything that the insurance company adjuster should examine as they walk through and assess the damage.
- Provide a complete list of all external and internal damage.
- Provide photographs showing the damage.
- If you made any temporary repairs to the car, make sure to include any receipts and a detailed description of these repairs.
- You might want to include copies of documentation or communication you received from the insurance company regarding the temporary repairs.
- Bills for renting a car or for a rideshare service if your car suffered such severe damage you needed to find other transportation.
- Provide copies of all repair or replacement estimates from several contractors that include any possible “hidden” damage from the high winds.
Make sure to retain a copy of all this documentation for your records.
For a free legal consultation with a high winds accidents lawyer serving Los Angeles, call (800) 794-0444
Insurance Company Settlement Negotiations
Following communications, documentation, and a walkthrough of the damaged property, your insurance company may provide you with a settlement offer to cover your losses.
If you feel that the settlement does not adequately cover the amount it would take for you to repair your car, you may need to negotiate further with your insurance company to get a fair and just settlement offer. It is important to note that insurance companies will often attempt to offer lower settlement amounts by arguing the following points:
- Your car insurance policy does not cover high wind damage.
- The amount of compensation and coverage amount is lower than you understand your car insurance policy to cover for high wind damage.
- The damage only needs repair and not a replacement.
- They may deny the claim under your car insurance policy.
- They may undervalue the repair or replacement costs of the high wind damage in an attempt to underpay policyholders.
- They may delay paying out high wind claims to frustrate the car owner, so they will accept any settlement offer.
After suffering property losses due to high winds, you may feel overwhelmed. You may be out of a ride to work or school while waiting for repairs or replacement.
Negotiating with insurance companies regarding your high winds claim may leave you confused and frustrated. Consider hiring a Los Angeles high winds lawyer from Pintas & Mullins Law Firm to help you negotiate with your insurance company.
Los Angeles High Winds Accidents Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Hiring a Los Angeles High Winds Lawyer
If your property suffered damages due to high winds, you might feel frustrated and confused regarding the negotiations with your insurance company. Consider consulting with a member of our team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm by calling (800) 794-0444. You can learn how a Los Angeles high winds lawyer might be able to help you pursue a claim for your property losses due to high winds in California.