Imagine driving down the road and having your brakes or steering wheel fail. Or imagine the driver of another car who is hit at an intersection because their brakes did not work. While these accidents are not common, they do happen, and when they do, the injured parties have the right to hold the mechanic or the repair company responsible for their losses. The Federal Trade Commission has even created an outline for car repair basics to decrease the number of people who receive faulty repairs on their vehicle.
If you are hurt and in pain because of an accident caused by faulty or neglected vehicle maintenance, you are not alone. A Chicago faulty or neglected vehicle maintenance lawyer is here to help you pursue legal action if you are eligible, as well as compensation to the fullest extent of your injuries.
The team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm has worked on many cases like these. We understand the steps it takes to establish liability, as well as the common defense tactics that lawyers sometimes use to reduce their clients’ liability during a settlement claim. For a free review of your claim and to find out what options you have for recovering damages, contact Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today at (800) 794-0444.
Establishing Liability for a Faulty Repair Job
If a mechanic did not properly maintain your vehicle and an accident occurred because of their negligence, you have the right to hold them responsible for their negligence. However, these cases can sometimes be complex, because you must prove that the accident occurred as a direct result of the mechanic’s actions. The repair shop will likely do all it can to avoid liability for the accident. They may claim that the accident occurred because of negligence on behalf of the driver. They may also claim that a car part was defective and, therefore, the responsibility of the manufacturer. They may also claim that previous repairs made to your vehicle that were unrelated to them caused your accident.
A Chicago faulty or neglected vehicle maintenance lawyer can help you prove liability in your accident. They can also defend you against any underhanded defense tactics by the defendant’s lawyer claiming that you are at fault for the accident.
For a free case review and to find out what your options are for recovering compensation for your injuries, contact the team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today.
How the Statute of Limitations Could Impact Your Claim
Every state has its own statute of limitations that places a limit on the amount of time that victims have to pursue compensation after an accident. In some states, it is as short as one year, while in others, plaintiffs have as many as ten years.
According to Illinois § 735 ILCS 5, a plaintiff must file a claim within two years of the date of the accident or they are barred from recovering any amount of compensation. A two-year limit also exists for wrongful death claims, according to Illinois § 740 ILCS 180. In the event of a wrongful death, the family must file a claim within two years of the date of the victim’s death, or they are typically barred from recovering compensation.
For a free legal consultation with a faulty or neglected vehicle maintenance accidents lawyer serving Chicago, call (800) 794-0444
Recoverable Damages After an Accident Caused by Faulty Maintenance
Every accident is different, and the type of damages that you can recover depends on the details of your case, such as the severity of your injuries, the amount of wages lost because of time away from work, and the total amount of medical costs. While we cannot estimate your damages without reviewing the details of your case, some common types of damages victims recover in cases similar to yours are:
- Medical costs (such as ambulance rides, hospital stays, surgical procedures, doctor’s examinations, and assistive devices)
- Physical therapy
- Lost wages
- Future wages, if your earning potential is impacted
- Pain and suffering
- Disfigurement or dismemberment
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Property damage
If your family is filing a wrongful death claim because of the loss of a loved one, some possible types of recoverable damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of support and protection
- Wages and benefits previously provided by the deceased
- Loss of consortium
- Out-of-pocket costs related to the care of the victim before their death
- Medical expenses left to the family to pay
Chicago Faulty or Neglected Vehicle Maintenance Accidents Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
The Team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm Is Here for You
A Chicago faulty or neglected vehicle maintenance lawyer understands how to determine liability for these cases and can help build a strong claim against the defendant who should be held responsible. Some specific ways that the team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can help are by:
- Answering your questions: We can be by your side from beginning to end, answering your questions and offering you legal guidance and support 24/7. We understand how overwhelming these cases can be. Our goal is to take that burden off your shoulders.
- Gathering evidence: We will gather police reports, eyewitness statements, and video surveillance to help us determine what happened to cause your accident. If necessary, we will work with accident scene reconstruction experts who can help us determine liability.
- Communicate with the defense: We will communicate with the defendant’s lawyer or insurance company on your behalf. This will ensure you never say anything that could be used against you at a later time to reduce your compensation.
- Negotiate for a fair settlement: We will calculate the full value of your case. This includes calculating all of your financial losses and speaking with your doctors to determine the full cost of your pain and suffering. This will help us understand what a fair settlement looks like for your case. We will negotiate with the defendant’s lawyer to pursue a fair settlement for the accident.
- Stand up for your rights at trial: If we cannot reach a fair settlement for your injuries, we will not hesitate to pursue compensation at trial.
Our team has worked on many Chicago car accident cases like these, and we are proud of our results. If you are ready to get started right away or if you would just like to take advantage of our free, no-risk consultation, contact Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today at (800) 794-0444.