Buses are very useful vehicles for transporting large groups of people. Even though bus drivers receive special training and follow regulations, accidents can still occur for several reasons.
Bus accidents can leave you debilitated and impact your life in negative ways. If you were the victim of a bus accident, you could be eligible for financial compensation. Filing a legal claim can be an intimidating process, but the Chicago bus accident lawyers with Pintas & Mullins Law Firm want to help you understand your options. As a victim, you deserve justice if a third party was responsible for your injury or loss. If you would like to know more about the options available in your case, Pintas & Mullins can answer your questions.
Call (800) 794-0444 to learn more today.
Causes of Bus Accidents
Like all vehicle accidents, bus accidents occur for several different reasons. Unfortunately, bus accidents can cause a lot of damage due to their size and potential for extreme force. Some of the reasons bus accidents happen include:
- Inexperienced driving: While bus drivers receive special training, sometimes drivers may be new to a vehicle, company, particular route, or bus driving in general. Just because a driver has their license does not mean that they won’t make mistakes. Inexperienced drivers can put passenger lives in danger while jeopardizing the safety of other vehicles on the road.
- Hazardous conditions: Inclement weather can affect traction on roads and create unsafe conditions for buses and other vehicles. Fog, snow, rain, and sleet are also dangerous because they can impair visibility. Even high winds are dangerous to buses due to their size and surface area.
- Impaired driving: Driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, prescription medication, or any mind-altering substance is not only illegal; it is dangerous. Impaired driving leads to bus accidents, injuries, and deaths every year.
- Fatigue: Commercial drivers have requirements on how much rest they need in between trips to protect against fatigue. While these same regulations do not exist for everyday citizens, driver fatigue can affect anyone and endanger everyone on the road.
- Speeding: Follow the speed limit; it could save your life. Speed limits exist to keep you safe. Also take note that different types of vehicles might have varying speed limits. Buses, for example, should generally travel at a slower speed and can react to turns differently than standard passenger vehicles.
- Distracted driving: Peering at your cell phone for even one second puts your life in danger. Distracted driving has become an increasing problem with the abundance of technology and personal devices. Any behavior that takes your eyes away from the road, not just looking at your cell phone, can cause an accident.
- Mechanical failure: All vehicles are machines that need to be checked regularly and could require maintenance. Many larger vehicles like buses are subject to special regulations regarding maintenance. Mechanical failure can cause a bus or vehicle to operate incorrectly. This is a real threat to your safety.
Bus passengers, those occupying other vehicles, and pedestrians perish in bus accidents every year, according to a study on transportation fatalities by mode. Understanding the factors that cause accidents can help you avoid futures bus accidents. If you were the victim in a bus accident, whether you were a passenger, pedestrian, driver, or passenger in another vehicle, you may be able to take legal action. Bus accidents can ruin your life, causing injury, property loss, financial debt, and other forms of loss.
Injuries and Property Loss
Bus accidents can cause a tremendous amount of property loss and serious injuries. Vehicle accidents, in general, cost billions of dollars every year in medical expenses and other damages, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). You could experience hospitalization and injuries that require expensive long-term therapy. You could even lose your vehicle and the ability to get to work and earn wages. Serious accidents can also be fatal.
During the difficult and stressful time following an accident, remember that you have options. If your bus accident involved a third party, filing a legal claim could result in financial compensation. Every situation is unique, but some bus accident victims can claim reimbursement for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, property damage, and more. Additionally, you can inquire about how a Chicago bus accident lawyer will handle your case.
Determining liability is a key component in bus accidents, as the liable party or parties could prove responsible for losses experienced by victims. Many times, accidents result from the actions of more than one person or vehicle. Even if a third party was partially liable, you may be able to collect an award. Understanding the complex legal system can be overwhelming, especially while you are trying to physically, mentally, and financially recover after a bus accident. Seeking legal counsel is one way to understand the potentially recoverable compensation that could be available to you or your loved ones.
For a free legal consultation with an bus accidents lawyer serving Chicago, call (800) 794-0444
Contact Us About a Chicago Bus Accident Lawyer
In the aftermath of an accident, you want to focus on your path to recovery and return to normal life. If you are considering legal action, you have a right to seek legal representation. The legal process can be stressful and confusing. At Pintas & Mullins Law Firm, our Chicago bus accident lawyers want to help you understand your options.
Call (800) 794-0444 for a no-obligation consultation at no charge.