Personal injuries can lead to extra expenses and difficulties. Accidents do happen, but you do not have to handle the resulting problems on your own. Having a legal team working on your case can let you focus on your recovery while also holding the other person responsible.
If you or someone that you know suffered injuries because of someone else, contact us to see if you have a personal injury case. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 794-0444 to get help from a legal team that takes personal injury cases in the Joliet area.
Common Injuries for Personal Injury Lawsuits
Personal injury lawsuits can happen in a variety of ways. Because of this, there is a wide range of injuries that can happen. Some of the most common injuries for personal injury cases include:
- Broken bones: Broken bones are common in car accidents or accidents involving vehicles of any kind. Because of the high speeds, bones are more likely to break on impact.
- Cuts: Cuts are also common when vehicles are involved as there is almost always glass and other sharp objects around after an accident.
- Bruises: Accidents usually cause bruises, which are reactions to tissue damage in an attempt to prevent serious internal bleeding. While bruises are usually mild and heal on their own, severe bruises can leave lasting damage or disabilities. In the most severe cases, excessive bruising can lead to death.
- Concussions: A concussion is a serious brain injury that can have lasting effects since it leaves the brain susceptible to other injuries. Concussions can lead to commas and lasting brain damage if not cared for properly.
- Burns: Burns can be caused by a variety of sources, including faulty products. All burns should be treated by medical professionals to prevent infections and lasting effects.
- Neck and back injuries: Slip and fall accidents tend to lead to neck and back injuries since most of these accidents involve falling on your back.
There are other types of personal injury case injuries not covered on this list. Any injury should be treated seriously and medical attention should be sought immediately. That is the best way to avoid serious complications. Whether you suffered these injuries in an auto accident, bicycle accident, a slip and fall, or any other kind of accident, we want to hear about your case and help.
Possibly Recoverable Compensation
If you are injured in an accident that was not your fault, then you may be able to recover compensation for the costs associated with your injuries. The types of compensation that you can recover depend on the specifics of each case, as well as the discretion of the judge. Medical expenses are among the most commonly sought types of compensation. Medical expenses can increase rapidly and few people can afford unexpected medical costs. To recover these costs, your lawyer needs to prove that those costs are associated with treatment for your injuries rather than any other cause.
Damages can include the costs of replacing or repairing anything damaged due to the accident. It is most common in car accidents where cars are heavily damaged or destroyed, but any damaged personal property can qualify. Lawyers can seek compensation for lost wages if you are unable to work due to your injuries or the loss of a vehicle. If your injuries take a long time to heal, then it may be a good idea to seek lost wages to help with day-to-day bills.
Pain and suffering compensation is often requested but not always awarded. It is a type of intangible compensation reserved for trying to help victims overcome the mental and emotional stress of their cases. If the accident and injuries took a substantial toll on the victim’s mental and physical health, pain and suffering compensation may be awarded by the judge. The judge also has discretion over the exact amount.
For a free legal consultation with an personal injury lawyer serving Joliet, call (800) 794-0444
Statute of Limitations
The statute of limitations is the time limit put in place to prevent lawsuits for actions that happened a long time ago. You have to file the lawsuit before the time runs out, or the lawsuit will be invalid. The statute of limitations starts when the crime is committed. In Illinois, the statute of limitations for personal injuries is two years.
It is important to note that the lawsuit does not have to be settled by the deadline, just filed. Many cases can take years to finish, which is why the vast majority of cases settle out of court. Both parties decide that they want to negotiate a deal so that they can end the lawsuit and move on. If this is the case, have your lawyer review any settlement deals before you agree to one. Early deals rarely cover the full cost of medical and other expenses for long-term care. If you need long-term care, your lawyer can negotiate a deal that is closer to your needs.
Joliet Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Reasons to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you are involved in a personal injury case, it is helpful to hire a lawyer. Navigating the court system is complicated, even the simplest of cases. Plus, your emotions can cloud your judgment and have you make bad decisions that could hurt your case. Having a lawyer removes much of the pressure of managing your own case and can give you a better outcome. A lawyer can gather evidence by obtaining a police report and pictures of the scene, speak to your medical provider about your injuries, and more.
Click to contact our Personal Injury Lawyers today
Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation
If you or someone that you know suffered injuries in an accident, seek legal advice. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 794-0444 to see if you may have a case. Our team can help you recover the compensation that you are entitled to.