The symptoms of ovarian cancer can be vague and indications of other more benign conditions. Common ovarian cancer symptoms include:
- Pelvic pain
- Abdominal pain
- Changes in bowel movements
- Difficulty eating or feeling full quickly
- Increased abdominal girth
- Feeling a strong need to urinate urgently or often.
Other signs of ovarian cancer include fatigue, back pain, pain during sex, upset stomach, heartburn, constipation, or menstrual changes.
Many of these signs and symptoms are also present in simple and benign conditions. For example, acid reflux and gastrointestinal issues such as GERD are very common among the population. For this reason, many women do not receive a diagnosis until their cancer is at a later stage. In fact, the American Cancer Society reports that early diagnosis of ovarian cancer is only present in about 20% of cases.
If these symptoms persist after pursuing all normal avenues, you may consider visiting a specialist to see if your condition could be ovarian cancer. If changes in your diet and exercise, along with a prescription for gastrointestinal, acid reflux, or constipation do not resolve the issue, you may need to seek the advice of a medical professional.
Ovarian Cancer Risks
There are several types of ovarian cancer, but all of them have similar signs and symptoms. These types of ovarian cancer include epithelial tumors, germ cell tumors, and primary peritoneal carcinoma. Knowing ovarian cancer risk factors can help you determine if you should keep a closer watch on your symptoms.
Women with genetic predispositions may have a higher risk of developing cancer. Women with the BRCA1 mutation have a 35 to 70% chance higher risk of developing ovarian cancer, according to the American Cancer Society. Women with the BRCA2 mutation have a 10 to 30% higher risk of developing ovarian cancer.
Some women are at a higher risk of developing ovarian cancer if they have a personal history of breast, ovarian or colon cancer in their family, or if they are infertile.
Other risk factors include:
- Being overweight.
- Being older.
- Having children after the age of 35.
- Never having a pregnancy that makes it to full term.
Women should always be mindful and watchful for any signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer.
Having genetic disorders such as Lynch syndrome or Peutz-Jeghers syndrome can also place some women at an increased risk of ovarian cancer. An increased risk of developing ovarian cancer is also related to women who have received a prior diagnosis of breast, colorectal, or endometrial cancer.
Women who regularly used talcum powder on their genital area may also be at an increased risk for developing ovarian cancer.
Contact Our Attorneys Today
If you believe that your symptoms may be a sign of ovarian cancer, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible. If your doctor has diagnosed you with ovarian cancer and you used talcum powder as a feminine hygiene product in the past, please contact the attorneys at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 794-0444 or online today to help you understand all of your legal options.
Call or text (800) 794-0444 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form