Personal injury cases focus on recovering compensation for injuries caused by another party. Personal injury lawyers deal with a wide variety of cases with this goal in mind. For example, getting rear-ended while driving is a type of personal injury case. In this case, you would focus your personal injury claim on recovering compensation for medical expenses and repairing or replacing your car.
If you or a loved one suffered injuries because of a third party’s negligent actions, you might have grounds to file a lawsuit to recover compensation from that party to cover your related expenses. If you think you could have a case, you can contact a Dallas personal injury lawyer for legal advice and guidance. At Pintas & Mullins Law Firm, we focus on all types of personal injury cases. Call our office at (800) 794-0444 today to discuss your case with our team.
Types of Personal Injury Cases
You could have suffered injuries in many different types of cases. These cases include:
- Car accidents: According to the Department of Justice, the majority of personal injury cases result from car accidents.
- Class actions: Class action cases, also called mass torts, happen when a group of victims sues a single entity or individual. A judge combines their claims into one case, with any awards split among the plaintiffs.
- Medical malpractice: Medical malpractice happens when a healthcare provider ignores available evidence, like test results, or deviates from the standard method of care, causing another injury.
- Dog bites: You can hold pet owners whose animals attack or bite without provocation accountable for your injuries.
- Product liability: A court could find companies that ignore obvious signs of problems with their products that lead to injuries liable for the damage that their goods caused.
If your injuries resulted from the actions of another person, you might be able to file an insurance claim or lawsuit to recover compensation for any of your related expenses. You can consult a Dallas personal injury lawyer to discuss your case and begin the process of filing your claim.
Types of Potentially Recoverable Compensation
You could recover several types of compensation in a personal injury lawsuit, including:
- Medical expenses: You can claim any expense that you incurred for medical care and ongoing treatment in a lawsuit. You can use medical records and billing statements to prove that your treatment relates to your injury.
- Property damages: Property damages cover the cost of repairing or replacing any piece of property damaged in an incident. For example, car accidents usually include compensation for the repair or replacement costs for your vehicle.
- Lost earnings: If you are out of work for any period because of your injuries, you can claim the wages and benefits that you missed by not working as compensation in the lawsuit. If the reason why you missed work relates to your injury, you could claim the full amount of the wages that you lost.
- Pain and suffering: Pain and suffering addresses the physical and emotional trauma caused by your injuries. Instead of basing this compensation on concrete numbers like pay stubs or repair bills, you would determine pain and suffering compensation on the impact of your injuries on your life. A personal injury attorney can calculate the value of pain and suffering compensation using one of several methods.
There might be other types of compensation that you could claim in a personal injury lawsuit not covered on this list. In most cases, you can claim any expenses related to your injuries. You must prove that those expenses directly relate to your injury. You need to document all your expenses if you think that you will file a lawsuit to claim compensation. A Dallas personal injury lawyer can help you compile your documentation and prepare to file a claim. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm for a free case review with a team member.
For a free legal consultation with a Personal Injury Lawyer serving Dallas, call (800) 794-0444
Settlement vs. Trial
Waiting to go to trial can cause stress in your life, especially if you have never taken part in a legal case. Court systems have backed up with the sheer number of cases that need to be heard. Because of this backlog, it can take a long time for your case to get to trial. This delay may work in your favor because many personal injury cases do not go to trial. Instead, the sides settle their differences through out-of-court agreements.
The lawyer for the party that you sue will likely make you a settlement offer. It will include an amount of compensation and an agreement to close the case without going to court. This agreement can shorten the amount of time you have to wait until you can recover compensation. However, the initial settlement offer may not provide enough compensation to cover your expenses.
You are under no obligation to accept a settlement agreement, and you might find it beneficial to have an attorney review an offer before accepting it. A Dallas personal injury lawyer can make a counteroffer that ensures the agreement fully meets your needs.
Dallas Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Statute of Limitations
You have a limited amount of time to file a personal injury lawsuit called the statute of limitations, and Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003 sets the deadline in this state for a personal injury lawsuit at two years. That means you have two years from the date that the injury occurred to file your lawsuit.
Texas is among the states with the shortest statutes of limitations for personal injury cases, meaning you do not have a lot of time to recover, consider your legal options, and build a case. The sooner you act, the more time that you have to find evidence that bolsters your case. A personal injury lawyer can help you meet the deadline and collect evidence such as witness statements, police and medical reports, and expert testimony.
Click to contact our Personal Injury Lawyers today
Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm Today
If you or a loved one suffered injuries due to another person’s negligence, you might have grounds to sue that person to recover compensation for your expenses. You can discuss your situation with a Dallas personal injury lawyer to see if you have a case. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today at (800) 794-0444 to discuss your case with our team.