In one case, a victim said the fire produced by the exploding can was so intense that it melted her contact lens onto her eye, causing near-blindness. Another case involves a cook in a Texas restaurant who was using Sysco-brand cooking spray.
Attorneys for the victims stated that the larger cans of Pam and similar cooking sprays have a faulty vent system in the bottom of the can which makes them more likely to explode.
Vented cans are typically 10 ounces or larger – not the smaller, six-ounce cans usually sold in grocery stores. The bigger cans tend to be sold in warehouse stores, such as Costco and Walmart, or online through Amazon.
Manufacturer Claims It Warned Consumers
For its part, Conagra has claimed that Pam and other cooking sprays have warning labels which tell consumers the product is flammable and should not be left on or near a hot surface, such as a stove or another heat source. Cooking sprays should never be stored in an area where the temperature might reach above 120 degrees, or sprayed near an open flame.
Conagra also argues that the vent system in question was eliminated earlier this year, and that “when used correctly” their product is safe. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission indicated, however, that it is looking into the safety of the product and similar cooking sprays.
What to Do If You Are a Victim
If you have Pam or any other cooking spray in your kitchen, check to make sure that it is the smaller, six-ounce can. Also be sure to store it in a cool, ventilated area and – above all – never spray it near a stove or any other open flame.
Finally, if you’ve experienced any problem with exploding cans of Pam or another cooking spray, be sure to contact the attorneys at The Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today. All consultations are free and, if we represent you, you never pay anything unless we win. Call us today at 800-794-0444.