Dog owners have a responsibility to ensure their pets do not inflict harm on other people. When this happens, the dog owner can be held liable for any injuries caused by the animal. If this has happened to you, you may be eligible for a personal injury award. A West Hollywood dog bite lawyer can help you explore your options and seek just compensation.
The legal team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm fights diligently to help dog bite victims recover damages for the injuries and trauma they have suffered after an animal attack. Contact our firm at (800) 816-0755 for a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your options for potential awards.
Dog Owner Responsibilities
Dog owners in West Hollywood, CA must take certain precautions to safeguard against potential animal attacks. The following are examples of the many actions dog owners and caretakers can take to prevent their animals from hurting others:
- Owners should walk dogs on a leash, per Los Angeles County Code of Ordinances §10.32.010
- Dogs should be kept in a safe environment within their owner or handler’s private property
- Dogs that display aggressive tendencies or breeds that have a predisposition toward aggression should be kept away from others, especially children
It is important to understand that if you were attacked by a dog, the owner or handler may be ordered to pay for your medical bills and other damages resulting from the incident.
Your Rights as a Dog Bite Victim
When dog owners neglect their responsibilities, victims may be entitled to awards for any injuries or life-altering ramifications. As per California Civil Code (CIV) §3342, dog owners are usually liable for injuries caused by their dog. It does not matter if the animal had a history of aggression, as the state has “strict liability” for owners.
If you or someone in your family was attacked by a dog in West Hollywood, contact Pintas & Mullins Law Firm to request a free consultation with a member of our team who can review your options and eligibility for proceeding with a personal injury case.
For a free legal consultation with a Dog Bite Lawyer serving West Hollywood, call (800) 816-0755
How an Attorney Can Help You Seek Awards Following a Canine Attack
A lawyer can investigate a canine attack in the same manner as any other personal injury. However, these investigations can be lengthy and complex. An attorney can help you navigate the steps involved after a dog bite and explain your options for pursuing awards, if applicable.
Your attorney will be tasked with the following:
- Determining who was responsible for the dog. Typically, an owner is strictly liable for their dog, but there may be exceptions if the dog was under someone else’s care at the time of the bite. An attorney can review the circumstances of the accident to see which party is liable, if more than one person was responsible for the attacking dog. Any negligent actions on the owner or caretaker’s part may be evidence in a personal injury lawsuit.
- Gathering evidence. With the state’s strict liability law, you must establish that the dog, under the care of the owner, attacked you without provocation, and that you were not trespassing. Your lawyer can help find evidence to prove this, along with evidence to fight the opposing side’s argument as necessary. The owner or their lawyer may try to shift blame onto you, and a West Hollywood dog bite lawyer can gather proof that you did not cause the attack.
- Arguing for losses. You may be eligible for an award that includes payment for your medical bills, potential disabilities if the bites were extensive enough to prevent you from working in the future or that would cause a deterioration in your quality of life, as well as any psychological trauma resulting from the incident. A lawyer can calculate how much you are owed to try and get you a fair settlement or judgement.
West Hollywood Dog Bite Lawyer Near Me (800) 816-0755
Providing Testimony After a Dog Bite
If you documented the scene of the dog attack, took pictures, or spoke with anyone who had valuable information about the incident or the animal, providing these critical details to a West Hollywood dog bite lawyer can help to further substantiate your case if you intend to pursue an award. Any documentation you have secured, such as a photo that shows the dog was off their leash when it attacked you or depicting the owner or handler failing to prevent the attack, can be used as supporting evidence when pursuing a personal injury claim.
Click to contact our Dog Bite Lawyers today
Contact a West Hollywood Dog Bite Lawyer Today to Explore Your Case Options
A dog bite is a serious matter. Victims may develop health complications even if the initial bite was not apparently severe. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) explain that dog bites can cause life-threatening infections and diseases, including rabies, MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus), and more.
Additionally, a wound caused by a canine bite can lead victims to undergo surgery, lose a limb, and suffer permanent scars or disfigurement. If a dog attacked you, you may be entitled to an award that covers not only the medical expenses related to the bite but also any pain and suffering the animal attack inflicted upon you or your loved ones.
As a victim of a canine attack, you have the right to seek legal counsel and a West Hollywood dog bite lawyer can help you determine if you have grounds to file a lawsuit against those in charge of the animal. Contact Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 816-0755 to schedule a consultation with a member of our firm to discuss your situation and learn how we can help you fight for justice.