Due to their declining health and impairments, nursing home residents need around the clock care, proper nutrition, and excellent personal care by a qualified staff. In the absence of such care, your loved one can suffer greatly, contract new illnesses and diseases, and even see their existing medical problems worsened. So, if you are wondering if rapid weight loss or hair loss of the elderly in nursing homes can be a sign of nursing home abuse, the answer is yes. The reason it is a cause of great concern for many is that it is caused by negligence and is already prevalent in nursing homes. If your loved one is a victim of such abuse, you should consider taking legal action against the nursing home. A Tucson rapid weight loss or hair loss lawyer from Pintas & Mullins Law Firm may be able to help. Call us now for a free consultation.
Reasons for Rapid Weight Loss in the Elderly
Although rapid weight loss in the elderly could be a sign of an underlying medical condition, they are other reasons, as well. A few include:
- Poor nutrition or malnutrition. Elderly people in nursing homes need proper meals. If the quality of meals being served at the facility is poor, it can result in rapid weight loss, injuries, and even death. When this happens, the nursing home can be held liable for their negligence and breaching their duty of care.
- Inability to eat or swallow. Certain medical conditions can make it difficult for the resident to swallow food or even eat at all. In this case, they may need a pureed diet or require assistance from the staff. However, in the face of negligence or lack of well-trained staff, the resident can lose weight rapidly and even die.
- Intentionally withholding food. In situations where there is abuse, the abuser, who is often a member of the nursing staff, can intentionally withhold food from the resident. When taking legal action, the nursing home facility that hired the abusive staff member or failed to do anything about the situation can be held liable.
- Social isolation or depression. According to a 2016 research by Portland State University, the average resident in a nursing home is likely to exhibit depressive symptoms. Since loss of appetite is a common symptom of depression, a resident who is not being adequately monitored can lose weight rapidly.
Reasons for Hair Loss in the Elderly
Nursing home abuse can also be characterized by hair loss, and while it could be a symptom of an underlying health condition like cancer, there are other reasons why it occurs. A few are as follows:
- Lack of proper nutrition. Your loved one can lose their hair if they are not getting the nutrients they need. Studies by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) shows that iron deficiency can trigger hair loss.
- Lack of personal care. A neglected resident that is heavily dependent on the staff for their personal care can suffer hair loss. This situation is unacceptable since nursing homes have the legal duty to protect their patients and improve their standard of living.
- Medical conditions. Hypothyroidism, diabetes, and alopecia are common medical conditions that can cause your loved one to suffer hair loss.
How to Keep an Eye on Your Loved One in the Nursing Home
To help you stay on top of things, a Tucson rapid weight loss or hair loss lawyer recommends that when you visit your loved one, you should:
- Have conversations with them about their meals and if they like what they are being served
- Talk with the in-charge the moment you notice any signs of malnutrition and hair loss
- Check them physically to ensure that their personal care is up to standard
- Ask them questions about the staff and note down any complaints they may have a specific staff member or fellow resident
- Hire a lawyer as soon as possible if you feel your loved one is being abused in any shape or form
For a free legal consultation with a Rapid Weight Loss or Hair Loss Lawyer serving Tucson, call (800) 794-0444
How a Tucson Rapid Weight Loss or Hair Loss Lawyer Can Help
If you decide to pursue legal action against the nursing home for causing your loved one to suffer greatly, you will need one of the best personal injury law firms in the U.S. in your corner. When you hire us, we will:
- Investigate the claims and provide irrefutable evidence to support your claims
- Consult with medical practitioners and have your loved one undergo examinations to confirm malnutrition, negligence, and abuse
- Order urine samples and blood tests to determine nutritional deficiencies
Even though these cases typically involve dealing with a victim whose health is declining, we would like to assure you that we have the experience in providing effective solutions to problems that could be a challenge to your litigation. We know what needs to be done to recover damages for your loved one and we are ready to work for you. To learn more about how we can help, contact Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today.
Tucson Rapid Weight Loss or Hair Loss Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Let Us Work for You
Pintas & Mullins Law Firm takes abuse of the elderly in nursing homes very seriously and would be the perfect partner in your corner as you gear up to take legal action. A Tucson rapid weight loss or hair loss lawyer can guide you throughout your litigation process, represent your loved one’s interest at the negotiation table, and help ensure that the liable parties are held accountable for their actions. Take advantage of our free consultation and 24/7 availability and give us a call to discuss your case with a member of our team.
Call or text (800) 794-0444 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form