Bedsores are painful, open sores that are caused by sustained pressure on the skin, according to the Mayo Clinic. Also known as pressure ulcers, bedsores are injuries to the skin that affect underlying tissue. They typically develop on the hips, ankles, heels, and tailbone—parts of the body that tend to be bonier and have less body fat.
Nursing home residents who cannot move or shift their position without help from a caregiver can develop bedsores. When bedsores are untreated, patients are at risk for sepsis, a life-threatening and fast-moving medical condition.
Bedsores are often a red flag for nursing home abuse or neglect. You are welcome to call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm for a free case evaluation. Call us today.
We Can Help If Your Loved One Is a Victim of Nursing Home Abuse
Incidents of nursing home abuse can fall through the cracks of the state and federal agencies that are supposed to regularly check and inspect these facilities.
Although nursing homes are regulated and inspected by the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA), a concerned family member has the right to take legal action if there is evidence of abuse or neglect.
A Stickney bedsores lawyer with Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can:
- Provide help for you to get your loved one to a safe place.
- Investigate nursing home staff and policies.
- Seek compensation for you and your loved one for physical and emotional injuries.
Our lawyers can help you recover compensation on a contingency basis. You pay nothing up front. We receive compensation from a portion of a successful settlement or verdict.
Bedsores Are a Warning Sign for Abuse or Neglect
You thought that the nursing home you selected for your spouse or parent was a safe, clean, and comforting place. While many nursing homes and their staff are dedicated to their elderly residents, some are not.
Any nursing home that allows or ignores abuse or neglect should be held accountable. They should pay for the physical and mental harm inflicted upon their vulnerable and frail residents.
Bedsores can indicate that the staff is not taking proper care of your loved one. Other signs of nursing home abuse and neglect include:
- Soiled bedsheets or clothing.
- Lack of personal hygiene, such as bathing and brushing teeth.
- Dirty rooms.
- Unexplained bruises, welts, cuts, or burns.
- Sudden weight loss.
- Changes in behavior (for example, withdrawing from daily activities or refusing to see visitors).
A bedsores lawyer with Pintas & Mullins Law Firm is here to protect you and your loved one. Please call for your free, no-obligation case review.
For a free legal consultation with a Bedsores Lawyer serving Stickney, call (800) 794-0444
Our Bedsores Lawyers Look for Evidence to Build a Strong Case
Bedsores by themselves may not be enough proof of abuse or neglect. An attorney with our firm will look for additional proof that nursing home staff are not adhering to accepted practices that caused the bedsores.
We use our considerable resources to investigate when we:
- Obtain statements from staff.
- Secure expert testimony from medical specialists.
- Take photos of the bedsores and living conditions.
- Talk to witnesses.
- Examine the nursing home’s inspection, regulation, and certification reports for prior violations or complaints.
A lawyer with Pintas & Mullins Law Firm will take care of all legal matters and details while you focus on your loved one’s safety and well-being.
Stickney Bedsores Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
We Seek Compensation and Justice
We are lawyers, but we are also the parents, spouses, and children of aging loved ones. Nursing home abuse and neglect is illegal and reprehensible. Any person in a nursing home has rights under the law, as noted by the Illinois Department on Aging. You have the right to seek recovery regardless of any criminal proceedings or charges.
A Stickney bedsores lawyer with Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can establish if there is evidence of liability and negligence according to the following guidelines:
- The nursing home had a legal responsibility to take reasonable measures to prevent bedsores by adhering to accepted standards of care.
- The nursing home breached this duty of care through reckless behavior, omission, or intentional wrongdoing.
- This negligence caused your loved one to suffer physical and emotional harm.
- These injuries caused damages in the form of medical bills, moving expenses, and other related losses.
You could be awarded compensation if we successfully show that the nursing home is liable. You may also prevent other nursing home residents from suffering a similar fate by shining on a light on abusive or reckless acts.
Call today for a free case evaluation. A member of our firm is ready to take your call.
Click to contact our Bedsores Lawyers today
Compensation for Bedsores in a Nursing Home Abuse Case
Bedsores are often a symptom of a larger pattern of abuse and neglect. We conduct a thorough examination of your case, your loved one’s injuries, and related damages.
We will seek awards for damages that might include:
- Urgent or emergency medical care and treatment at a hospital or other facility.
- Transportation costs.
- Moving expenses if you change facilities.
- Pain and suffering.
- Diminished quality of life.
Should your loved one pass away due to complications from bedsores, Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can pursue compensation for wrongful death.
Wrongful Death Awards
You could be entitled to compensation if bedsores or other medical conditions are caused by negligence.
A lawyer with our firm can help the parent, spouse, or child recover a financial award that might include:
- Medical expenses until your loved one’s passing.
- Funeral and burial expenses.
- Pain and suffering.
- Loss of consortium or companionship.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
A Stickney Bedsores Lawyer Is Ready to Fight for You
Your spouse or parent deserves to live in a safe and clean nursing home that is free from abuse and neglect. A bedsores lawyer serving Stickney can help you hold negligent caregivers and companies accountable.
Please call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today for a free case evaluation.