Nursing home neglect is a growing problem across the country. Neglect happens when care providers in the nursing home ignore their patients and fail to provide adequate care. In many cases, understaffing and many other issues leave seniors without the care that they need, which can lead to other health issues.
One of the signs of nursing home neglect is soiled clothes. Nursing homes provide laundry service so that seniors can have clean clothes. If their clothes are not being washed, then it is possible that their other needs are not being met. If your loved one is in a nursing home and showing the signs of neglect, consult a Newark soiled clothes or other signs of poor hygiene lawyer from Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 201-3999 for guidance on your legal options to help them.
Signs of Poor Hygiene
Soiled clothing is just one sign of poor hygiene. Seniors that are experiencing nursing home abuse can show multiple signs of poor hygiene. These signs include:
- Body odor: Residents of nursing homes usually need assistance in showering and bathing. If they do not receive that help, they will usually develop body odor. This can happen relatively quickly and be an early sign that your loved one is being neglected.
- Rashes: A rash is a skin irritation that can be caused in many ways, including bad hygiene. Wearing soiled clothes and not bathing can lead to a persistent skin rash. If untreated, it can lead to a skin infection and be very irritated and uncomfortable.
- Skin infections: Skin infections occur when bacteria or viruses infect parts of the skin. This can happen over time when bad hygiene leaves bacteria on the skin or dries out the skin, making it more vulnerable to infections. These infections should be treated by a doctor to ensure that they are cured over time. Patients experiencing nursing home neglect may not have access to medical personnel.
- Unclean living spaces: Bad hygiene also applies to people’s living spaces. Nursing home residents that do not have their living spaces cleaned regularly are more likely to have other problems with hygiene and could be exposed to potential illnesses more often based on the condition of their living space.
There are other signs of poor hygiene that are not covered on this list. If your loved one is showing these signs, then investigate the nursing home to ensure that they are receiving appropriate care. If needed, consult a lawyer to see what your legal options are. Nursing homes have an obligation to protect the health and wellness of their patients, and neglect falls short of that obligation with legal consequences.
A Newark soiled clothes or poor hygiene lawyer from Pintas & Mullins Law Firm might be able to help you. Contact us today.
Dangers of Poor Hygiene
Having poor hygiene is more than an inconvenience—it posses a real danger to seniors’ health. Poor body hygiene can lead to several health problems. It can cause skin irritations that dry out the skin. This leaves your skin open to infections and rashes at a higher rate. It also opens your body up to deeper infections and other illnesses that healthy skin could usually fight off.
Poor hygiene because of environmental factors can lead to health issues as well. Uncleaned rooms can be hazardous for nursing home patients that have difficulty walking because of an injury. They are likely to trip and fall, which can lead to other, more serious injuries. It can also lead to a higher rate of illnesses and infections. Unclean living spaces can cultivate bacteria, which can lead to illnesses and reinfections.
For a free legal consultation with a Newark Soiled Clothes or Other Signs of Poor Hygiene Lawyer serving Newark, call (800) 794-0444
Elder abuse is an increasing problem across the country, as the need for nursing home staff increases without an increase in the number of available trained staff members. Because of this, nursing homes are routinely going understaffed, and staff members are stressed. This often leads to elder abuse problems as staff members struggled to handle their workloads.
There are many different forms of elder abuse. In a study on elder abuse and its causes St. Catherine University cites education and training as the leading problems that contribute to elder abuse. They theorize that staff members are not trained well enough to handle the stress of working in a nursing home.
One type of elder abuse that is becoming a bigger problem at an alarming rate is financial abuse. According to The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), financial abuse happens when caregivers use seniors’ credentials to access their financial accounts and assets without their permission. Some caregivers do this to steal money out of their accounts. If they run out of funds to pay for their care, seniors could find themselves homeless. If you notice that your loved one’s financial accounts are seeing strange activity, then investigate to see if someone is taking money out of their accounts without their permission.
Newark Newark Soiled Clothes or Other Signs of Poor Hygiene Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Possibly Recoverable Compensation
If your loved one is the victim of elder abuse, you can file a lawsuit against the nursing home to recover compensation and hold it accountable. There are several types of compensation that you can collect. These include:
- Medical expenses: Negligence by a nursing home usually requires medical care from another facility to address injuries. Many residents leave home and move to a new one, which can be expensive. You can sue to recover any of the medical costs, including the costs of a new nursing home.
- Pain and suffering: Pain and suffering is compensation that addresses the emotional and mental stress of the experience.
There are other types of compensation that you can sue for that are not covered on this list. To claim this compensation, you can file a personal injury lawsuit in civil court. You can do this with or without the help of a lawyer, although many people choose to have a lawyer represent them.
Click to contact our Newark Soiled Clothes or Other Signs of Poor Hygiene Lawyers today
Call Us to Discuss the Details of Your Potential Case
If you suspect that your loved one is experiencing elder abuse or nursing home neglect, consult a lawyer to see what your legal options are. A Newark soiled clothes or other signs of poor hygiene lawyer can investigate and file a lawsuit on your behalf to claim compensation and hold the nursing home accountable. Contact Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 201-3999 for guidance on what legal steps to take next.