When a loved one is in the care of a nursing home, you should be able to trust that the care facility will provide a safe and clean environment and that your family member will be treated with the dignity and respect they deserve.
Sadly, physical abuse occurs all too often in nursing homes. A report published by the United States Government Accountability Office notes the severe gaps in oversight that often occur in nursing homes. This negligence is a serious problem often with heartbreaking results.
If you are concerned about the well-being of a loved one in a nursing care facility and are noticing bruises, cuts, or burns that the nursing home cannot or will not explain, the Lyons unexplained bruises or cuts or burns lawyers at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can be reached. We can help you to investigate if your loved one is receiving the proper level of care demanded by the law while staying in a nursing home.
Suspecting Physical Abuse at Your Nursing Home
Physical abuse is illegal and is the result of direct physical force either from someone intentionally causing harm or by being careless in their actions causing bodily injury. The injuries an elderly person can suffer due to physical abuse can be very serious because they are fragile and their skin is more prone to bruises, cuts, and tears.
You may be concerned about the welfare of a loved one in a nursing home if you are noticing any of the following signs:
- Unexplained bruises, cuts, wounds, or burns
- Unwarranted restraints which could be physical or chemical
- Stained or bloody clothing
- A sudden change in your loved one’s mental or emotional behavior such as them becoming withdrawn, confused, or unusually aggressive
- Care staff refusing to allow you to see your loved one or delays in allowing you to visit
- Care staff not allowing your loved one to be alone with you when you visit
You can help to prevent elder abuse by visiting your loved one often, taking note of their social and behavioral disposition, being mindful about any changes in health conditions, keeping an eye on any medication being administered, and finally talking and listening to your loved one’s concerns.
If you are worried or noticed unexplained bruising or burns, it is important to report the abuse signs to the relevant authorities immediately. For help investigating the abuse, a Lyons unexplained bruises or cuts or burns lawyer can be a valuable ally in helping you prove your case.
Reporting Elderly Abuse
Reporting elderly abuse helps to ensure that it does not happen again in the future. Filing a lawsuit brings those responsible into account for their actions under the full extent of the law. You and your family can report elderly abuse, along with doctors and lawyers. The sad truth is that many cases of physical abuse go unreported because:
- The victim is afraid to tell anyone
- The abuser threatens harm if they try to reach out about their abusive behavior
- The victim is unable to communicate or is not aware of the abuse due to physical or mental limitations
- The abuser leads a victim to believe they deserve to be punished
If you noticed unexplained cuts, bruises, or burns and suspect that care staff or other residents are physically abusing your loved one, or your loved one admitted to being the victim of physical abuse, you should immediately report the incident to:
- The police
- The nursing home administrator
- Other relevant authorities, like the National Center on Elder Abuse
Talk calmly with your loved one and seek medical attention where necessary. Stay alert and watch for any further signs of harm. If they continue, speak with a Lyons unexplained bruises or cuts or burns lawyer who can help bring the nursing home to justice.
For a free legal consultation with a Unexplained Bruises or Cuts or Burns Lawyer serving Lyons, call (800) 794-0444
Hiring a Lyons Unexplained Bruises or Cuts or Burns Lawyer Can Help
It can be challenging to pursue nursing home claims in some cases as the victim may have difficulty in communicating or remembering what happened to them. It is important when choosing a lawyer to ensure that they:
- Specialize in nursing home abuse cases
- Have the resources and knowledge required to pursue compensation for nursing home abuse
- Know both nursing home and medical malpractice law
- Fight rigorously to protect the rights of their clients and understand how to best represent their interests
- Have access to medical experts who can help with investigating the abuse
Pintas & Mullins Law Firm will work with you and various medical experts and the relevant authorities in these situations in order to gather the necessary information to prove your claim. Reach out today for a free case evaluation so we can determine the best course of action needed to protect your loved one.
Lyons Unexplained Bruises or Cuts or Burns Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Pintas & Mullins Law Firm Fights Elderly Abuse
While we cannot erase what happened to your loved one, we are dedicated to seeking justice and protecting the rights of victims of elderly abuse in nursing homes. We will work together and discuss:
- The best course of legal action through a free case evaluation
- The limitations and laws that could affect your claim
- Consultations with medical experts who can help with the abuse investigation
- The identity of the negligent party or parties
- The value of your claim
We will help your personal injury case by investigating and gathering the evidence necessary to prove abuse before proceeding with the best course of legal action to recover compensation for your loved one. If you believe that your loved one suffered an injury or a decline in their health due to substandard care and abuse at a nursing home, let us help you to seek justice. Call for legal support today.