Older people are prone to falls, but if you suspect that nursing home abuse or neglect caused or contributed to your loved one’s injuries or death, you might be able to take legal action.
Working with a Louisville falls lawyer on your behalf could benefit your case. You do not pay any upfront or out-of-pocket fees. Our lawyers are paid from a percentage of the settlement that we recover on your behalf.
Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm for a free case review with a member of our team at (800) 842-6336.
Falls Caused by Abuse or Negligence
One in four Americans aged 65 and older fall each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Falls happen in nursing homes, even with the best care and supervision.
However, falls are more likely to occur under less acceptable circumstances, such as:
- Failing to supervise residents who need help with walking or transitioning from a seated or supine position
- Failing to ensure that walkers, canes, and wheelchairs are within easy reach
- Failing to provide supervision during showering or toileting
- Failing to observe residents for low blood sugar or side effects from certain medication that might increase their risk for falls
There is also the unpleasant reality that more than half of all nursing home staff admitted to physical violence, abuse, or neglect within the prior year, according to the National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA).
How a Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Firm May Help
If you have reason to believe your loved one’s fall might have been the result of being pushed, shoved, or knocked to the ground, act now. A Louisville falls lawyer can identify the liable party and seek damages for you and your loved one.
A lawyer who accepts this type of nursing home abuse and neglect case can also:
- File a complaint with the appropriate authority or agency.
- Request copies of medical records, personnel reports, disciplinary measures, prior violations, and other pertinent information.
- Secure evidence and testimony related to the likelihood that negligence played a role in your loved one’s injuries.
- Valuate your damages.
- Negotiate an acceptable settlement.
- Represent you in court if your case must go to trial.
An attorney with Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can protect your rights and pursue damages. This frees up your time to devote to taking care of yourself and your loved one.
Settlement Usually Resolves Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Cases
Many cases of nursing home abuse and neglect are resolved for the plaintiff without going to court. Nursing homes do not want to reveal to the public the sordid details that may surround a fall that abuse or neglect caused. Nursing homes and similar facilities must carry insurance policies for falls caused by negligence.
If the other party does not negotiate an acceptable settlement, it may be necessary to take your case to court. According to Kentucky Revised Statutes (KRS) §413.140, you have one year from the date of injury to file a personal injury lawsuit. This may sound like a lot of time, but it can go by quickly, and your attorney will need as much time as possible to build your case.
Do not delay and miss the chance to exert all your legal options. Contact Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today and schedule a free consultation with us.
For a free legal consultation with a Louisville Falls Lawyer serving Louisville, call (800) 794-0444
Proving Liability in a Nursing Home Abuse Case
It is rare when a nursing home will admit to liability or wrongdoing. That is why many people whose spouse or parent was injured under suspicious conditions may want to talk to a Louisville falls lawyer.
If you are interested in seeking legal action to win compensation, several conditions must be met to seek recovery from a liable party. You must:
- Establish that the nursing home breached its duty of care to your loved one, either through negligence, carelessness, omission, or wrongful act.
- Show how this breach caused your loved one to suffer injuries.
- Prove that these injuries resulted in economic and emotional damages.
Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can pursue damages for you based on the evidence, testimony, and documentation that shows liability.
Louisville Louisville Falls Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Damages You Might Be Awarded
Depending on the severity of your loved one’s injuries, the value of damages, and other factors, a Louisville falls lawyer could seek compensation for such losses as:
- Emergency room services
- Surgery, hospitalization, and other medical care
- Medical equipment and devices
- Replacement or repair of any personal items (for example, if your loved one broke their eyeglasses, cellphone, or other property because of the fall)
- Relocation and moving expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium or companionship
If your loved one died from injuries after a fall that abuse or negligence caused, you could be entitled to wrongful death damages. Our lawyers can help you understand your rights should this happen to your family. We can also answer your questions and keep you updated on the developments in your case.
Click to contact our Louisville Falls Lawyers today
Falls Should Always Be Carefully Evaluated
According to the CDC, falls create physical and emotional injuries. About one in five falls of an older person results in broken bones, hip fractures, or head injuries. If the individual takes blood thinners or other medications, a fall can lead to severe internal bleeding.
In addition to physical injuries, many people who fall become inactive because they fear they will fall again. This increases the risk of falling because inactivity weakens muscles.
If you notice these changes in your loved one, speak with a doctor about their condition as soon as possible. Keep all medical documentation you receive, as they can be used to help build your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Today for a Free Case Review
Your spouse or parent deserves to live in a nursing home without fear of abuse or neglect. If your loved one suffered a fall and you think negligence or wrongdoing caused it, you can consult with a Louisville falls lawyer. You and your loved one could be entitled to damages for emotional and economic losses.
You have only a short time to take legal action, so please call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today for a free case review at (800) 842-6336.