Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is an important source of income for many people. However, sometimes legitimate claims for this program are denied. Applying for these benefits or appealing a denied claim is a confusing process. A Los Angeles supplemental security income lawyer helps you through this process while protecting your legal rights.
If you or a loved one applied for SSI and your claim was denied, please do not give up. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today for a free consultation. We help other clients successfully appeal a denied claim for them to get the benefits they need.
Call (800) 749-0444 to speak with a member of our firm.
Who May Receive SSI
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is administered through the Social Security Administration. It is a program from the federal government to help specific Americans, including:
- People age 65 and older who have limited income and resources
- People of all ages (including children) who are blind or disabled
- Children under age 18 whose parent (or parents) died.
SSI is paid monthly to help recipients pay for food, clothing, and shelter. Approximately 65 million Americans will receive over one trillion dollars in benefits in 2020, according to the Social Security Administration.
Why Some SSI Claims Are Denied
If you or a loved one recently applied for SSI and was denied, please do not give up. A Los Angeles supplemental security income lawyer can help you compile the necessary information to appeal.
In our experience, first-time SSI claims are often denied for the following reasons:
- Your initial claim did not have sufficient medical proof.
- Your claim was missing basic information, such as your Social Security number.
- You did not present evidence that you are following your healthcare provider’s treatment plan.
- You did not grant the Social Security Administration permission to view your medical records.
- You tried to file another claim rather than appeal your denied claim.
- You moved and did not provide a forwarding address or phone number.
A lawyer with Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can represent you at an appeal hearing or council. To learn more, please call today for a free consultation with a member of our firm.
For a free legal consultation with a Supplemental Security Income Lawyer serving Los Angeles, call (800) 794-0444
How Our Lawyers Can Help with Your Appeal
If your application for SSI was denied, or if you believe that you are not receiving all the benefits that you could, it may be time to call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm. It does not help if you simply refile a new SSI claim. You may need to collect additional documentation to show that you are disabled and/or that you meet the income requirements.
Appealing a denied SSI claim is a complex process. Many people do not feel comfortable speaking alone at a hearing or in court. It is your legal right to have a lawyer speak on your behalf.
A supplemental security income lawyer can:
- Compile additional information from your healthcare provider that you have a medically determinable physical or mental condition that prevents you from working.
- Establish that you have limited income and financial resources.
- Review your application for any missing information or errors.
- Secure testimony from medical and vocational experts.
There are several steps in the review process, and you are entitled to have an attorney of your choosing by your side.
Los Angeles Supplemental Security Income Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
How Denied SSI Claims Are Appealed and Reviewed
If you allow Pintas & Mullins Law Firm to represent you, our first step is usually to write a written request for an appeal. You have 60 days from the time you received the Social Security Administration’s decision letter.
From there, you have several review and appeal stages. It is our goal to help you successfully appeal your claim as quickly and efficiently as possible.
In general, the appeal and review process for denied claims includes:
- Reconsideration: You may request for a new Social Security administrator to review your claim, along with any new or additional documentation.
- Hearing: If your reconsideration is unsuccessful, you can appeal the decision to an administrative law judge.
- Appeals Council: The Social Security Appeals Council will choose to review your case, and either resolve your claim or schedule another hearing.
- Federal Court: If you still have not resolved your SSI claim, you and your lawyer may file a lawsuit in federal district court.
It can take months for a complex claim to be successfully resolved. Our legal team can guide you through this process.
Click to contact our Supplemental Security Income Lawyers today
Common Misconceptions About Supplemental Security Income Lawyers
Sometimes people are reluctant to call a law firm if they need help filing a Social Security Income (SSI) claim or if their claim was denied.
This may be due to a few common misperceptions about supplemental security income lawyers.
You may be assured that as your legal advocate, Pintas & Mullins Law Firm:
- Always offers a free, no-obligation case review.
- Works only on a contingency basis, so you do not pay anything up front (we do not get paid unless you do).
- Upholds the highest standards in legal conduct.
- Keeps you updated on your case.
- Treats our clients with personalized care and respect.
Everything you discuss with your lawyer is privileged information and cannot be shared. This gives you the confidence to ask questions and express your concerns about your SSI claim.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Today for a Free Consultation
A Los Angeles supplemental security income lawyer will help you file a new SSI claim or with an appeal if your claim was denied. However, you may have a limited time to appeal. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today for a free consultation with a member of our team: (800) 794-0444.