Perinatal asphyxia is a birth injury that can be caused by medical negligence or error. Infants who are born with perinatal asphyxia (also known as hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy or HIE) do not get enough oxygen before, during, or after birth. This can lead to organ failure, brain damage, and loss of life.
If your family was affected by this birth injury, a Los Angeles perinatal asphyxia lawyer can protect your rights and help you recover compensation for damages.
The Pintas & Mullins Law Firm invites you to call today for a free, no-obligation consultation with a member of our team. You pay nothing upfront, and we are paid only if we are successful in recovering financial awards for your suffering and losses.
Call (800) 970-4884 for your free consultation at your home, the hospital, or by telephone.
How a Perinatal Asphyxia Lawyer Can Help
The birth of a child should be a joyous occasion. Yet for many families, this is a time of anger, grief, and frustration. If your family has suffered from the effects of perinatal asphyxia, it may be time to call the Pintas & Mullins Law Firm.
We accept many types of medical malpractice cases, including those that involve birth injuries. Our lawyers travel around the nation to help families through this difficult time.
Our firm can:
- Identify all liable parties.
- Conduct interviews with witnesses and subject matter experts.
- Collect evidence and documentation from your doctor, the facility, and medical reports from the labor and delivery team.
- Valuate your damages for both economic and emotional losses.
- Represent you at all stages to both insurance adjusters and lawyers for the other party.
A Los Angeles perinatal asphyxia lawyer can lift the burden of pursuing compensation so you may focus on your health and the well-being of your family.
We Investigate to Determine Liability
There are doctors, nurses, midwives, and other health care providers who take their responsibilities seriously and follow the accepted standard of care, as defined by the National Institutes of Health. Yet, there are also many cases where medical error and negligence contributed to tragic birth injuries, such as perinatal asphyxia.
Many birth injuries are preventable. In our experience, the most common factors that contribute to perinatal asphyxia include:
- Failure to monitor baby’s heart rate
- Fetal stroke
- Failure to check mother’s oxygen levels and heart rate
- Failure to perform Cesarean (C-section)
- Umbilical cord around infant’s neck, nose, or mouth
- Drop in maternal blood pressure
- Excessive pressure or force on the infant’s cranium
- Lack of proper prenatal care
- Rupture or separation of the placenta
- Uterine rupture
Medical providers have a duty to preserve the health of mothers and infants. When they fail to uphold this duty, you may be entitled to compensation.
For a free legal consultation with a Perinatal Asphyxia Lawyer serving Los Angeles, call (800) 970-4884
How Perinatal Asphyxia May Be Prevented
According to the University of California, San Francisco’s (UCSF) Benioff Children’s Hospital, birth asphyxia can happen at any time in the labor and delivery process.
Their advice for prevention and treatment includes:
- Giving the mother extra oxygen before and during delivery.
- Checking levels of blood acidity that can be a sign of oxygen deprivation.
- Monitoring fetal heart rate and oxygen levels for signs of distress.
- Using an ultrasound to make sure the umbilical cord and placenta are properly located.
- Performing an emergency Cesarean section if fetal distress occurs.
- Using a mechanical breathing machine.
Medical providers who deviate from accepted standards of care should be held accountable for the injuries and damages that this negligence caused. Please contact the Pintas & Mullins Law Firm about potential compensation.
Los Angeles Perinatal Asphyxia Lawyer Near Me (800) 970-4884
Symptoms of Perinatal Asphyxia
There are immediate signs of perinatal asphyxia during labor and delivery, such as:
- Poor skin color
- Low heart rate
- Poor muscle tone
- Trouble breathing with obvious respiratory distress
- Low blood pressure
- Meconium stained amniotic fluid (from in-utero bowel movement)
- Weak or insufficient reflexes
- High levels of acid in the arterial blood of the umbilical cord
Perinatal asphyxia is the most common factor in brain injury and death among infants.
Click to contact our Perinatal Asphyxia Lawyers today
Children with Perinatal Asphyxia Often Need Long-Term Care
The severity of a child’s physical, neurological, and cognitive impairments depends on how long he or she was oxygen deprived. The longer the time that the infant struggled for oxygen, the more severe the brain damage.
Other symptoms and health issues become apparent in children who were born with this birth injury including:
- Neurological problems
- Heart problems
- Insufficient kidney or liver function
- Cognitive impairment
- Physical impairment due to lack of oxygen to muscles
These medical conditions require long-term care. A lawyer with the Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can help you recover compensation to ease this financial pressure.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What We Can Do for You
We are not only trial lawyers. We are parents ourselves. We know that this is a difficult time for you as you struggle with the medical, emotional, and physical effects of this situation.
We will seek compensation for your current and long-term needs, with damages that might include:
- Medical care, including corrective or restorative treatment, surgery, and hospitalization
- Lifecare costs for medical, physical, emotional, and educational support
- Loss of income for parent who is primary caregiver
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Other related out-of-pocket expenses
It is our goal to help you recover compensation in a process that is as stress-free as possible for you and your loved ones.
When to Call for Help
The California Courts have a two-year limit on personal injury lawsuits. That is why we invite you to find out today how a Los Angeles perinatal asphyxia lawyer can help you recover damages and justice.
For a free consultation with a member of our team, call the Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 970-4884.
Call or text (800) 970-4884 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form