Dog bites cause severe physical and psychological injuries. Dog owners must obey guidelines for Cypress Park and other Los Angeles County parks. If a dog bit you or a family member while visiting this park, a Los Angeles Cypress Park dog bite lawyer can help you recover compensation for any injuries you suffered.
After you see a medical provider, call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm for a free consultation. You could recover damages for medical bills, lost pay, pain and suffering, and other losses. Call (800) 816-0755 to discuss your case for free with a member of our firm.
Dog Owners Have a Legal Responsibility to Prevent Harm
CIV § 3342 holds dog owners in Los Angeles and statewide to strict liability if their dog bites someone in a public space like Cypress Park and injures them.
Strict liability means that:
- You do not have to prove that the dog has a history of aggression or has bitten anyone before.
- The owner remains liable even if they did not know their dog’s history of aggression.
- You may pursue compensation for damages caused by dog bite injuries as long as you did not provoke the attack.
You should know that some dog owners may try to shift liability to avoid being held accountable. A member of Pintas & Mullins Law Firm can explain your legal rights and options and fight any of the dog owner’s attempts to evade responsibility.
Liability in a Dog Attack
California’s dog bite law applies only to bites, and not attacks where you suffered scratches or other injuries from being knocked down by the animal.
However, our lawyers can fight to recover compensation for you after a dog attack by proving that:
- The dog’s owner had a duty of care to prevent you from being attacked.
- The dog’s owner breached this duty of care in some way.
- This negligence caused you to suffer injuries.
- You have damages because of these injuries.
The sooner you call for a free consultation, the sooner we can start to work on your behalf. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today to speak with a member of our firm. You do not pay any upfront costs, and we receive payment only if you recover compensation from an insurance settlement or verdict.
For a free legal consultation with a Cypress Park Lawyer serving Los Angeles, call (800) 816-0755
When Dog Owners Are Liable
Dog owners have a legal obligation to compensate victims for their injuries provided that certain conditions are met:
- The dog bit you while you were in a public place, such as Cypress Park, or a private place lawfully.
- The dog was not a working police or military dog.
A Los Angeles Cypress Park dog bite lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and protect them during negotiations with an insurance company or if your case goes to trial.
Los Angeles Cypress Park Lawyer Near Me (800) 816-0755
How a Dog Bite Lawyer Can Help You Recover Compensation
A dog bite lawyer from our firm understands state laws and county codes regarding dog bites and attacks. We can evaluate the circumstances of your case with a process that may include:
- Securing photos of your injuries and, if possible, where the dog bite happened.
- Getting copies of your medical report showing your injuries, treatment, and prognosis.
- Obtaining the police report of the incident and statements from park personnel, witnesses, and first responders.
- Identifying all liable parties who had a direct or indirect role in causing your injuries.
Once we have secured the evidence, testimony, and documentation, we can file a claim with the dog owner’s insurance company.
Most Dog Owners Carry Insurance
The dog owner’s insurance company typically settles most dog bite cases. The owner may have a homeowner’s policy, liability insurance, or other personal policy that covers bodily injury or property damage associated with a dog bite.
Click to contact our Cypress Park Lawyers today
Liable Parties in a Dog Bite Case
There may be other liable parties in addition to the dog’s owner. These parties might include:
- Dog walkers
- Dog handlers
- Dog trainers
You might even have a claim against a leash or collar manufacturer if a design or manufacturing defect allowed the dog to escape the owner’s control.
A dog bite lawyer can help you recover compensation for your economic and emotional losses. You should not have to worry about paperwork or dealing with an insurance adjuster while recovering from the trauma of a dog bite.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
We Valuate Your Damages
A Los Angeles Cypress Park dog bite lawyer can accurately assess your damages, both present and future. For example, many dog bite victims have scars after the attack. You may need reconstructive or plastic surgery for these scars, but you must wait until your skin has healed from the attack.
There are usually two types of damages in a dog bite case: special and general:
- You might think of special damages as specific, tangible economic losses, such as a bill from your doctor.
- General damages are the emotional losses associated with a dog bite, such as suffering from nightmares or insomnia.
We believe that a negligent dog owner should be held accountable for damages caused by recklessness or a failure to act.
What Kind of Damages You Might Recover
Each dog bite case is different. The insurance company will consider the extent and severity of your injuries and their impact on your ability to return to your usual daily activities.
Pintas & Mullins Law Firm has helped clients recover damages that include:
- Emergency medical care
- Surgery and hospitalization
- Prescription medicine
- Lost pay while recovering from the dog bite
- Property loss or damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
If a family member died from dog bite injuries, we could also pursue a wrongful death claim for you.
Please Let Us Help
A Los Angeles Cypress Park dog bite lawyer can become your legal advocate to help you recover compensation for your injuries. You have up to two years from the date of the dog attack to file your case under CCP § 335.1. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 816-0755 today for a free consultation with a member of our team.
Call or text (800) 816-0755 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form