Negligent dog owners may be held accountable if you were bitten by their dog. Dog bites are extremely painful, and you may be exposed to infection and serious illness, including rabies.
A Los Angeles Bronson Canyon dog bite lawyer might be able to help you after a dog bite. You can rest assured that your rights will be protected and that we will do all we can to recover damages.
Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today for a free consultation. For your convenience, a member of our team can talk with you at your home, the hospital, or by phone. Call (800) 816-0755 for this free, no-obligation case review.
What to Do After a Dog Bite
Your first act after a dog bite at Bronson Canyon park is to get medical care. It is important that you follow your healthcare provider’s instructions to avoid infection or other complications.
According to Johns Hopkins Medicine, treatment for a dog bite might include:
- Tetanus booster
- Rabies vaccination if the dog was not vaccinated
- Be on the lookout for signs of infection, including fever, decreased appetite, headache, malaise, or swollen glands
After you have received medical care, it might be helpful to hire a Los Angeles Bronson Canyon dog bite lawyer to make sure you understand your legal rights. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm for a free consultation with a member of our firm.
We Protect Your Rights
In our experience, most dog bite cases are resolved without the need to file a personal injury lawsuit. Many dog owners will do the right thing, and you can recover damages from their homeowner or liability insurance.
You can still consult with a lawyer from Pintas & Mullins Law Firm before you speak with the insurance adjuster, and before you accept an offer.
We can negotiate with the insurance company to help ensure that you receive as much compensation as possible. If the insurer fails to make a fair offer, we can take your case to court.
For a free legal consultation with a Bronson Canyon Lawyer serving Los Angeles, call (800) 816-0755
Your Rights Under California Law
You are more likely to recover damages if your dog bite meets certain conditions under California Civil Code § 3342:
- You were bitten by a dog, not another kind of animal.
- You were bitten (not scratched or injured in some other way).
- The dog bite happened at a public place (the Bronson Canyon park is a public place), or where you were allowed or permitted to be.
- The dog was not acting in its capacity as a police or military dog.
It does not matter what size or breed of dog bit you. You are the victim of a personal injury that has significant physical and emotional suffering.
Los Angeles Bronson Canyon Lawyer Near Me (800) 816-0755
Right to Seek Compensation
According to California Civil Code section 3342, dog owners are “liable for the damages suffered by any person who is bitten by the dog…regardless of the former viciousness of the dog or the owner’s knowledge of such viciousness.”
You have the right to seek compensation, whether you are the first person bitten by this dog or one of several victims.
Your compensation may include damages for:
- Medical emergency room care
- Plastic surgery
- Psychological and emotional therapy and treatment
- Lost wages
- Loss of present and future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
If you lost a loved one to injuries suffered during a dog bite, you might be entitled to compensation with a wrongful death claim or lawsuit. A Los Angeles dog bite lawyer can advise you and your loved ones about these legal options.
Click to contact our Bronson Canyon Lawyers today
Who May Be Held Liable for Your Damages
You might be able to seek compensation for a dog bite even if the owner was not present. A lawyer with Pintas & Mullins Law Firm might be able to help you determine legal ownership of the dog and hold that person accountable.
There may be other people who can be held liable for your injuries and damages, including:
- Dog handlers
- Dog groomers
A lawyer can help you recover damages from all liable parties.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Our ‘No Recovery, No Fee’ Legal Services
Pintas & Mullins Law Firm helps you recover compensation on a contingency basis. This means that you do not pay upfront fees. Our lawyers are not paid unless and until we successfully recover compensation on your behalf. We are compensated with a portion of what we recover, which motivates us to work hard for the best possible outcome.
Common Diseases Transmitted by a Dog Bite
A dog bite has the potential for serious illness and injury. Your skin’s natural barrier is broken, which creates an opportunity for bacteria and other harmful elements to enter your bloodstream.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a dog’s blood and saliva may carry several types of infection, including:
- Brucellosis, which has flu-like symptoms and can affect reproductive organs and cause miscarriages.
- Campylobacteriosis, which causes diarrhea (sometimes bloody), nausea, and vomiting.
- Capnocytophaga is a bacterium found in many dogs’ mouths. In humans, this can cause rare but serious complications, including gangrene, kidney failure, and sepsis.
- Cryptosporidiosis is a parasitic disease that causes abdominal pain, cramping, and often severe diarrhea.
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) may appear on people as a skin infection but it can make its way to the lungs or bloodstream, where it can be fatal.
- Rabies is a neurological disorder that dog owners are required to vaccinate their dogs against. If you get rabies, it is nearly always fatal.
Know Your Rights
A Los Angeles Bronson Canyon dog bite lawyer is ready to help you recover damages that you might be entitled to receive after a dog bite. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today for a free consultation with a team member at (800) 816-0755.