All automobile accidents are dangerous, but side-impact collisions are especially dangerous for anyone in the car that was hit. Manufacturers design cars to take head-on or rear-end collisions well since there is space for the car to crumple and absorb the impact. The side sections of cars do not have that much space to absorb an impact without risking the driver and passengers. Because of this, the chances of being injured in a side-impact collision are greater.
If you or a loved one is injured in a side-impact collision, you will likely need financial support to deal with medical bills and other expenses. Fortunately, you may be able to get the financial support that you need by seeking compensation from the at-fault driver that hit you. You might want a Los Angeles side impact collisions lawyer to help you fight for the compensation that you deserve. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 794-0444 to speak with a team member regarding your case.
Types of Side-Impact Collisions
There are several types of side-impact collisions that you can experience. The different types often lead to different levels of severity and injury. The types of side-impact collisions include:
- T-bone collision: A T-bone collision is the most serious type of side-impact collision. It occurs when one vehicle slams head-first into the side of another vehicle, forming a T shape. This usually happens at higher speeds and can lead to serious injuries or death.
- Backing-up collision: Side collisions can happen when backing out of parking spots. It is often not easy to see a vehicle passing behind you, especially if other cars block your vision of oncoming traffic.
- Sideswipe: A sideswipe is a collision where a car scrapes against the side of another. This often happens during lane changes or backing out of parking spaces.
- Rollover: A rollover occurs when a vehicle is flipped over sideways. This can happen in a strong T-bone accident.
There are other types of side-impact accidents that are not covered on this list. If you are in a side-impact accident, seek medical attention immediately. Many injuries do not show immediately, and the long-term effects can be dangerous. If you were not at fault in the accident, you could file a lawsuit later. The medical records from your care providers can be used as evidence if you decide to sue. You can call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm to discuss your options with a team member.
Prevalence of Side-Impact Collisions
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) found that about one-fifth of all crashes in 2017 were “angle” collisions, including side-impact collisions. Thus, it is important to have as much side-impact protection as possible.
Many vehicles are built with side-impact protection installed due to an NHTSA standard put in place in 1990. The frame of the car is stronger around the cabin to keep it from collapsing during an impact, plus most vehicles are required to have side airbags and other features. These features can make a significant difference when it comes to surviving a side-impact collision.
For a free legal consultation with a Side Impact Collisions Lawyer serving Los Angeles, call (800) 794-0444
Settlement vs. Trial
The thought of going to trial can be stressful for a lot of people, especially when they are recovering from an accident. You will want to take into account the statute of limitations when considering your options—California Code of Civil Procedure § 335.1 limits the time you can file a personal injury lawsuit to two years.
Also keep in mind that many cases never make it to trial. The few that do go to trial usually do not end as people expect. Lawyers tend to negotiate settlements before cases can go to trial. Both sides grow impatient waiting for a court date, especially since it can take months or years to go to trial. Instead, the settlement agreement is a much faster and easier way to resolve the case.
Settlement offers can be difficult to analyze since there are several pieces of information that may be missing at the time. Most early settlement offers do not include enough compensation to cover the full extent of your medical bills or other related expenses. You may want to have a Los Angeles side impact collisions lawyer analyze the agreement before agreeing to it. They might be able to renegotiate the agreement to meet your needs.
Los Angeles Side Impact Collisions Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Common Injuries from Side-Impact Collisions
Side-impact collisions can result in mild to serious injuries. The injuries vary from accident to accident, but every injury should be considered serious until told otherwise by a medical professional. The common injuries from side-impact collisions include:
- Bruises: Bruises are tissue damage that results in swelling and internal bleeding from an impact. These are common in side-impact accidents since there is little space between the driver/passenger and the side of the car.
- Broken bones: Broken bones happen when the impact is severe, and the person bounces off the side of the car as it collapses.
- Concussions: Concussions are head injuries that can temporarily stun the brain. Multiple concussions in a short time can be fatal.
- Friction burns: Friction burns happen when the skin rubs against a harder surface. Seatbelts can cause bruises and friction burns during extremely fast stops like collisions.
- Cuts: Windows and other parts of vehicles tend to shatter during impact. The flying debris can cause cuts.
- Brain damage: A serious head injury can cause lasting brain damage. Immediate medical care is needed to avoid or minimize long-term effects.
There are other types of injuries not covered on this list. If you were injured in a side-impact collision, having a Los Angeles side impact collisions lawyer investigate could help you determine if you have a case and the amount of compensation that you can seek to help you with your medical costs.
Severity of Injuries
Injuries in a side-impact collision tend to be mild at low speeds and severe at higher speeds. The side of a vehicle has less space to absorb the impact, and the driver and passengers are likely to hit the side of the car during the impact. Driver injuries tend to be the most severe as the steering wheel and multiple airbags can cause injuries during an accident.
Click to contact our Side Impact Collisions Lawyers today
Discuss Your Potential Case with Our Los Angeles Legal Team
If you or a loved one is injured in a side-impact collision, you might want to consult with a Los Angeles side impact collisions lawyer to see what your legal options are. You may be able to recover compensation that will help you recover from the accident. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 794-0444 to speak to our legal team. The consultation is free, and there is no obligation to have us take your case.
Call or text (800) 794-0444 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form