If you or a loved one is in an accident caused by driving in rainy conditions, consult a lawyer about your legal options. Rain causes many accidents every year. Add rain to already crowded city roads and the chances of having accidents rises. Driving in the rain in L.A. is dangerous, and it can be unavoidable. You may be able to file a lawsuit against the responsible driver under the right conditions to recover compensation for any expenses that you have. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 794-0444 to speak to our legal team about accidents in the rain.
Driving in the rain is dangerous since it reduces traction on roads. Without traction, your car can slide, spinout, or crash. There are many dangers associated with driving in the rain, including:
- Hydroplaning (sliding): Hydroplaning is the technical term for sliding, and happens when enough water builds upon the road that your tires cannot move it out of the way fast enough. The standing water lifts the tire off of the ground letting the car slide across the surface.
- Spinning-out: Similar to hydroplaning, spinning-out happens when the traction between the sides of the car is so unbalanced that the car turns sideways and continues to spin.
- Long-stops: The reduced traction on wet roads and wet brakes causes cars to take longer to stop. If you do not compensate for the longer stop times, you could rear-end someone.
- Invisible potholes: Water on the road can make the surface harder to see and can hide potholes entirely.
- Reduced vision: A lot of rain in one area can limit visibility, making it harder to drive safely.
- Increased collisions: Rainy weather often increases the chances of collisions.
There are other dangers from rainy weather that are not covered on this list. If you find yourself driving in the rain, try to find a place to pull over. Waiting for the rain to stop could be the best option. Otherwise, use extra caution to stay safe driving in the rain.
Determining liability in a rainy driving crash can be difficult, mainly because it is hard to tell what caused the accident. The driver that caused the accident is generally held responsible. However, investigators will try to tell if the accident was because of bad driving or just the influence of the weather. This could affect the outcome of the case.
For a free legal consultation with a Rain Accidents Lawyer serving Los Angeles, call (800) 794-0444
Severity of Injuries
Driving in the rain is more dangerous for many reasons. When there are accidents, injuries tend to be more severe. Reduced friction causes cars to lose their ability to stop quickly, which makes accidents worse. On top of that, accidents are more likely to happen with collisions at strange angles due to spinning and sliding. Because of this, rain is more lethal for drivers than most other conditions.
Los Angeles Rain Accidents Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Causes of Car Accidents in the Rain
There are many reasons why people get into car accidents when it is raining. People drive in the rain because it is a common thing to do. Drivers think that they will be safe as long as they are cautious. However, the hazards that they have to deal with can be challenging. Some of these include:
- Reduced traction: As roads fill up with water, that water reduces traction. Without traction, cars cannot maintain control. This leads to sliding and similar problems which usually result in an accident.
- Reduced friction: Wet roads also have reduced friction, which can make it difficult to accelerate or stop.
- Reduced braking: The loss of friction increases stopping time. However, wet brakes also experience reduced friction, making it harder to stop the car with the brakes.
- Speeding: Some people speed in the rain, which is especially dangerous given the reduced amount of control.
- Low visibility: Thick rain can make it hard to see into the distance, increasing your chances of getting into an accident.
There are other causes of accidents in the rain that are not covered on this list. Driving with caution in the rain is advised, but there are conditions where you should not drive at all. It is the only way to avoid an accident.
Click to contact our Rain Accidents Lawyers today
Understanding Your Rights
You have certain legal rights that protect you if you are in an accident. The biggest thing to remember is that you have the right to seek compensation if you are injured or your property is damaged in an accident. Insurance companies can cover some of the costs, but you are entitled to have all of those costs covered. If the other driver or that driver’s insurance company is being uncooperative or not providing the compensation they should, your lawyer can address this through legal channels. Having a lawyer gives you the ability to handle legal processes to get the compensation that you deserve.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Seeking Legal Action with a Los Angeles Rain Lawyer
If you feel that you should seek legal action, start by consulting a lawyer. A lawyer or legal team can advise you on your case, and tell you if the case is worth pursuing. In some cases, the cost of taking legal action is much greater than the reward of winning. Regardless of the situation, a lawyer will give you an honest assessment of your case and advise you on how to move forward.
Your legal action does not have to begin with a lawsuit. Lawyers can help negotiate settlements as well, which is a common solution to accident cases. Your Los Angeles rain lawyer can also serve as your representative with the insurance companies to help you resolve any claims.
Discuss Your Potential Case with Our Legal Team
If you or a loved one is involved in an accident in the rain, consult a lawyer to see what your next steps should be. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm at (800) 794-0444 for a consultation with our legal team. The consultation is free and we can help you determine what to do next. If you are ready to file a lawsuit, our Los Angeles rain lawyers can also help you through the legal process to get the compensation that you deserve.
Call or text (800) 794-0444 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form