Slip and fall accidents are often not trivial matters and can leave victims with lifelong medical complications. Many victims of slip and fall accidents suffer catastrophic injuries resulting in both economic and noneconomic losses.
If you suffered an injury related to a slip and fall accident due to someone else’s negligence, you might have the legal right to pursue compensation under the law. You might want to consider visiting with a La Puente slip and fall lawyer who can help you understand your legal rights. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today at (800) 223-5115 to discuss your case with our legal team and learn more about how we can fight for the justice and compensation you deserve.
Slip and Fall Injuries Resulting from Negligence
The most important legal issue that victims of slip and fall injuries will face is whether the property owner exhibited any negligence concerning an unsafe area on their property. California Civil Code (CIV) §1714 requires all property owners to maintain their property in a safe condition for any person who has a legal right to be on the premises.
The failure to warn visitors or customers of a hazardous condition on the property or the failure to remove, clean, or adequately maintain a dangerous condition on the property can result in a severe slip and fall accident. If a victim can prove a dangerous condition that existed on the property directly caused their slip and fall accident, they might have the legal right to bring a claim to receive compensation for their injuries and losses.
Examples of hazardous conditions that could lead to a slip and fall accident include:
- Spilled liquid on the floor
- Mopped or waxed floors that remain wet
- Unremoved snow or ice on a walkway or parking lot
- Loose stair rail or step
- Loose floorboards, rugs, or mats
Additionally, a victim must prove that the property owner either knew or should have known about the dangerous conditions.
Developing a strong premises liability claim can become an extremely complex and legally challenging endeavor. If you suffered injuries or losses related to a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property due to their negligence, you could speak with a La Puente slip and fall lawyer to understand your legal rights. Call Pintas & Mullins Law Firm today to speak with a team member about your case.
Examples of Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Every slip and fall accident will have a different set of facts and circumstances; however, the following areas could create an environment in which a slip and fall accident might occur:
- Parking lots and sidewalks: Loose or crumbling cement, potholes, cracks, or uneven pavement.
- Floors: Spills, loose rugs, or worn carpeting.
- Escalators and elevators: Getting entangled in the escalator or tripping when an elevator stops unevenly at a floor.
- Amusement parks: Loose wires powering rides or other unsafe conditions.
- Poor lighting: Dimly lit staircases, parking lots, and walking areas.
- Nursing homes: Poorly maintained living areas could lead to falls, which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said occurs to up to 75 percent of nursing home residents each year.
For a free legal consultation with a Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer serving La Puente, call (800) 794-0444
Examples of Types of Injuries Suffered in Slip and Fall Accidents
The CDC and the National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI) both report on how often slip and fall accidents occur, sending approximately one million people to emergency rooms every year. Some of the types of injuries suffered because of slip and fall accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Sprained or strained muscles
- Broken bones
- Lacerations or bruises
- Nerve damage
- Internal organ damage or bleeding
Some of these injuries may heal quickly, while others could take months or years to resolve. In some unfortunate cases, victims of slip and fall accidents may suffer severe injuries with permanent medical repercussions. In some cases, victims never fully recover following their slip and fall accident and remain unable to work, perform daily tasks, or enjoy life in the same way. Their injuries could even lead to death.
La Puente Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer Near Me (800) 794-0444
Insurance Companies and Slip and Fall Cases
If you suffered injuries and losses because of a property owner’s negligence, your first step in recovering compensation involves filing an insurance claim against their liability policy. You would file this claim against the business or homeowner prior to taking your case to a court of law.
Keep in mind, though, that many insurance companies often use manipulative tactics to persuade a victim to accept some amount of blame for the accident, thus reducing their responsibility to compensate a victim fully and fairly. While California law allows victims to recover compensation even if they have some fault for the accident, courts and insurance companies can reduce your awards proportionately to your share of the blame.
To avoid these types of unscrupulous tactics, consider the following:
- Never admit any guilt or take blame for the slip and fall accident to an insurance adjuster.
- Never engage in small talk. An insurance company could ultimately use any little thing you say to offer a lower settlement amount.
- Never consent to have your conversations recorded with an insurance company.
- Never accept the first settlement offer. It is typically a lowball amount that the insurance company hopes will dispose of the matter quickly.
- Never provide your full medical history. Instead, only provide records related to your slip and fall accident that you must provide by law.
You might want to consult a La Puente slip and fall lawyer prior to visiting with an insurance adjuster. They can represent you and negotiate on your behalf with insurance companies, reviewing any offers you receive to ensure they fully cover your medical bills, lost income, property damage, and pain and suffering.
Click to contact our Slip and Fall Injury Lawyers today
How a La Puente Slip and Fall Lawyer Can Help Your Case
If you suffered injuries and losses following a slip and fall accident because of a property owner’s negligence or carelessness, you might want to speak with the team at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm.
We offer a free initial consultation, where we can explain how a La Puente slip and fall lawyer can determine the amount of compensation you might have a legal right to pursue, negotiate with insurance companies, and file a lawsuit within the two-year statute of limitations set by the California Code of Civil Procedure (CCP) §335.1, if necessary. Call us today at (800) 223-5115 to start the process of recovering the compensation you deserve.