There are many different causes of car accidents, and sometimes, harm comes to people through no fault of their own. When this occurs, it can leave innocent victims struggling to recover from and pay for injuries they did not cause. At Pintas & Mullins Law Firm, we believe this is wrong.
If a reckless driver, vehicle defect, or someone else’s negligence caused your crash, an East Los Angeles car accident lawyer might be able to help you seek compensation. Call our offices at (800) 223-5115 to speak with a member of our team.
Common Car Accident Causes
Motorists are expected to act with a reasonable duty of care for others on the road. When drivers violate traffic laws and make unsafe maneuvers, they are breaching this duty, and accidents can happen. Examples of negligent driving that can result in car crashes include:
- Speeding – Speed limits exist to protect everyone on the road. When drivers violate the speed limit, they are putting themselves and others in danger. Speeding can cause a loss of vehicle control, increase the distance a vehicle needs to stop, and lead to more severe injuries in the event of a crash.
- Distracted driving – There are many things that may distract us from the road, such as eating, talking with passengers, and operating GPS navigation systems. Distracted driving is often reckless driving, though. One of the most dangerous distractions is cell phones. Because of this, the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) states it is illegal for drivers to use a handheld device while behind the wheel. It is okay for drivers over age 18 to use a cell phone in a hands-free manner, but drivers under age 18 may not use a cell in any way while operating a vehicle.
- Following too closely – Also known as tailgating, this is the practice of following the vehicle in front of you so closely that, if it makes a sudden stop, you do not have enough time to react and avoid a collision. Drivers should adjust their following distance to accommodate road conditions, weather conditions, traffic, and visibility.
- Drinking and driving – It makes sense that drinking and driving is dangerous, illegal, and never a good choice. Nevertheless, alcohol-impaired driving is a factor in more than one-fourth of all vehicle fatalities, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT).
- Making an improper turn – Intersections can be a hazardous place. According to the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP), about 25 percent of traffic violations are the result of improper left turns.
These are not the only examples of negligent driving, and other drivers are not the only source of car accident liability. Some accidents are caused by vehicle or parts defects, like faulty brakes or an unsafe road condition or design. If this is the case for your car accident, an East Los Angeles car accident lawyer may be able to assist you with a claim against an automaker, parts manufacturer, or government entity.
You Have Options for Seeking Awards
Once you have determined who is responsible for your accident, you can begin the process of pursuing compensation. Generally, car accident cases begin with an insurance claim. In California, the law requires drivers to carry liability insurance to pay for bodily injuries, deaths, and property damages they cause. Following a crash, you submit your claims for damages to the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
Some claims are straightforward, but if you have serious injuries and major medical bills, it can draw out the insurance process. Insurers want to preserve their financial bottom line, so they will likely have teams of lawyers who will review your claims and look for reasons to decrease your settlement or deny you payment.
For this reason, it may be a good idea to work with an attorney who handles car accident cases. A lawyer can review your settlement to make sure the insurance company is offering you a fair deal. They will represent you in negotiations in an attempt to get you the best settlement possible. If the insurance company refuses to adequately compensate you, a lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf.
If your case goes to civil court, you will be bound by the state’s statute of limitations and comparative negligence laws. The window for taking a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit to court is two years from the time of your accident or your loved one’s death, according to the California Code of Civil Procedure (CCP) §335.1.
For a free legal consultation with a Car Accidents Lawyer serving East Los Angeles, call (800) 794-0444
Committed to Helping Victims
Car accidents can be overwhelming, but help is available. At Pintas & Mullins Law Firm, we want to help our clients win the money they need to recover physically and financially from their accident.
An East Los Angeles car accident lawyer can help you fight for reimbursement for your medical bills, lost wages, and more. If you are facing a long road to recovery, our team can help you seek sufficient compensation to pay for necessary future medical treatments, including rehabilitation services and health aids. You may also receive awards for the pain, suffering, and reduction in the quality of life your accident has caused.
When you choose Pintas & Mullins Law Firm, we take cases on contingency, meaning we do not charge you upfront or out of pocket. We only get paid if we win your case. If you are ready to try to hold the party responsible for your injuries accountable, call (800) 223-5115. A member of our team can get you started with a risk-free consultation.