What is a “Never Event”?
The Agency for Healthcare and Research Quality named 29 different mistakes as “never events”, which were grouped into 7 categories:
- Surgical Errors: The wrong surgery is performed on a patient, the wrong body part or the wrong patient is operated on, or if a medical device is left inside of patient’s body.
- Medical Device or Product: The misuse of a medical device or drug, which causes a patient injury or death.
- Radiological Errors: A metallic object entered the MRI area, resulting in either injury or death.
- Patient Protection: Releasing a patient to someone who is not authorized, the disappearance of a patient that leads to harm or death, or an attempted suicide while the patient is under the care of a facility.
- Environment: This includes electrical shock, burn injuries, or the unsafe use of bed restraints.
- Care Management: This encompasses a wide range of errors, including misdiagnosis, medication errors, birth injuries to the mother or infant in a low-risk pregnancy, bedsore development, and patient falls.
- Criminal: Impersonation of a healthcare provider, sexual abuse or physical assault by a healthcare provider, and abduction of a patient.
Pintas & Mullins Law Firm is a nationwide firm with medical malpractice lawyers who have handled over 10,000 cases. Our Chicago-based legal team travels directly to our and work to craft compelling cases rooted in expert testimony, investigation, and in-depth resources.
Call us for a free consultation at 888-444-9136.