Missouri Nursing Home Laws
Nursing Home Negligence or Abuse
Statute of Limitations Mo. Ann. Stat. §516.120
- Five years
Statute of Limitations Mo. Ann. Stat. §516.105
- Two years from when the injury was discovered, or reasonably should have been discovered.
- If foreign object is discovered, the claim must be brought within two years of discovery.
- No claim can be brought more than 10 years from the date of injury.
Statute of Limitations Mo. Ann. Stat. §537.100
- Three years
Damages Caps Mo. Ann. Stat. §538.210
- Non-economic damages are limited to $400,000 for the bulk of medical malpractice claims. Cap is $700,000 for catastrophic injury involving paralysis, loss of vision, brain injury and death from malpractice.
- Punitive damages are capped at $500,000, or 5 times the net amount of the judgement to the plaintiff, whichever is greater. Mo. Rev. Stat. § 510.265
- This limitation may not apply to damages for aggravating circumstances in wrongful death actions.
The information provided here was prepared by the Pintas & Mullins Law Firm for research and informational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. While we try to keep this information current, the law is subject to change and it may not be reflected here immediately.
The Pintas & Mullins Law Firm expressly disclaims all liability with respect to actions taken or not taken based on the information provided. If you have a legal question or problem, please consult an attorney immediately.