District of Columbia Nursing Home Laws
Nursing Home Negligence or Abuse
Statute of Limitations D.C. Code Ann. §12-301
- Three years from when the injury was discovered, or reasonably should have been discovered.
- Assault, battery, and wounding claims fall under a one year Statute of Limitation.
Statute of Limitations
- D.C. Code Ann. §12-301: Three years from when the injury was discovered, or reasonably should have been discovered.
- D.C. Code Ann. §12-302: For minors, mentally incompetent or imprisoned individuals, the claim may be filed within three years after the disability is removed.
Statute of Limitations D.C. Code Ann. §16-2702
- Actions brought under the Wrongful Death Act must be brought within two years from the date of death.
- Punitive damages are recoverable, but disfavored. An award of punitive damages must be accompanied by an award of compensatory damages.
The information provided here was prepared by the Pintas & Mullins Law Firm for research and informational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. While we try to keep this information current, the law is subject to change and it may not be reflected here immediately.
The Pintas & Mullins Law Firm expressly disclaims all liability with respect to actions taken or not taken based on the information provided. If you have a legal question or problem, please consult an attorney immediately.