Nursing Home Laws in Alaska
Nursing Home Negligence & Abuse
Statute of Limitations Alaska Stat. § 09.10.070
- Two years from the date the injury occurs. If the injured is, at the time the action accrues, a minor or mentally incompetent, the statute of limitations is delayed.
- The statute of limitations for claims for sexual abuse is delayed during any period of incompetency, and may extend beyond three years.
Statute of Limitations Alaska Stat. §§ 09.10.070 and 09.10.140
- Two years from when injury is first discovered. Infants have until their tenth birthday to file.
Statute of Limitations Alaska Stat. § 09.55.580 (1996)
- Two years
- Alaska Stat. § 09.17.010: Non-economic damages cap include pain, suffering, inconvenience, physical impairment, and loss of enjoyment of life. Generally, these damages are capped at $400,000 or $8,000 multiplied by years of life expectancy of the injured, whichever is greater. In cases involving permanent impairment, there is a cap of $1,000,000 or $25,000 multiplied by years of life expectancy, whichever is greater.
- Alaska Stat. § 09.17.020: The punitive damages cap equals $500,000 or three times compensatory damages, whichever is greater. If the defendant was motivated by financial gain or knew the consequences of their actions, the cap is four times the non-economic damages or $7,000,000, whichever is greater.
- Moreover, if a person receives an award of punitive damages, the court will require that 50% of the award be deposited in the general fund of the state.
The information provided here was prepared by the Pintas & Mullins Law Firm for research and informational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. While we try to keep this information current, the law is subject to change and it may not be reflected here immediately.
The Pintas & Mullins Law Firm expressly disclaims all liability with respect to actions taken or not taken based on the information provided. If you have a legal question or problem, please consult an attorney immediately.